Enumerating local disks in PowerShell

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Olaf Soyk Olaf Soyk 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of luke
    luke
    Participant

Dear all,

I wrote PowerShell script that enumerates free space of a local disk, I tried the following two snippets of code,

$diskObject=(Get-WMIObject Win32_LogicalDisk | select DeviceID, VolumeName, FreeSpace, Size | Where-Object { $_.DeviceID -eq $volumeID + ":" })

or

#$diskObject=(Get-PSDrive $volumeID)

and then the free disk space calculation is used ,

if ( $diskObject.FreeSpace -lt ($diskObject.Size)*$spaceThreshold ) {

or

if ( $diskObject.Free -lt ($diskObject.Free+$diskObject.Used)*$spaceThreshold ) {

when I run the script from within ISE in the context of an account that is local administrator it works fine, however when I schedule the script to run as a scheduled task in the context of a "service" account that is a non-administrator user then the $diskObject variable contains value 0 i.e not information pertaining to the local disk I am enumerating.

I tried modifying access privileges for the non-administrator on the ROOT of the WMI namespace (wmimgmt.msc) and adding it to both Distributed COM Users and WinRMRemoteWMIUsers_ local group but so far to no avail.

Please, help :]

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

The issue might be in the part of the code you're not showing. What is your actual goal? What is '$volumeID'?

Profile photo of luke
    luke
    Participant

The script performs a backup of the ADCS infrastructure and one of the first checks it does is to make sure there is sufficient amount of available disk space before starting the backup procedure,

$spaceThreshold=0.3
    $volumeID="D"
    $diskObject=(Get-WMIObject Win32_LogicalDisk | select DeviceID, VolumeName, FreeSpace, Size | Where-Object { $_.DeviceID -eq $volumeID + ":" })

if ( $diskObject.FreeSpace -lt ($diskObject.Size)*$spaceThreshold ) {

Olaf Soyk
      Participant

The part of the script you posted works just fine for me – even without administrative privileges.

Profile photo of luke
      luke
      Participant

Hmm, that's great :]

I run the scheduled task with the following arguments,

-noninteractive -command "& 'E:\scripts\PKI_backup.ps1'"

and the non-administrator account that I run the script as is a member of BUILTIN\Backup Operators and has only Log on as batch job privileges and it is configured to run with the highest privileges, I am not sure whether maybe some GPO settings might be preventing a proper execution but it would be strange...

Profile photo of luke
      luke
      Participant

Still a lot to learn,

my source code structure was

variable declaration
      function declaration
      core code

now that I have restructured it,

function declaration
      variable declaration
      core code

it works :] However, I do not understand why it worked when ran from ISE in the context of a local admin with the old structure :]

Olaf Soyk
      Participant

-noninteractive -command "& 'E:\scripts\PKI_backup.ps1'"

I know it works this way and I see this pretty often, but why? If I have a .ps1 file to run, why I don't take the parameter -File instead of -Command? Please don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining – I just would like to understand. Where do you get the idea to do it this way?

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

Have you tried scheduling the script with an account that has administrator privileges. Thats the easiest way to get the job done

Profile photo of Alex Aymonier
    Alex Aymonier
    Participant

Also take a look at Get-Volume

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Volume

DriveLetter FileSystemLabel  FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining      Size
    ----------- ---------------  ---------- --------- ------------ ----------------- -------------      ----
    C           Windows          NTFS       Fixed     Healthy      OK                     18.87 GB 236.22 GB
                Windows RE tools NTFS       Fixed     Healthy      OK                      1.53 GB   1.87 GB

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.