Enumerating Programs Installed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sultan Alkurnas
    Sultan Alkurnas
    Participant

How do I use powershell to enumerate all the programs installed on a server?

I want to view all the programs installed, or a particular program and not just view Windows Features installed.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Which version of Windows?

Profile photo of Sultan Alkurnas
    Sultan Alkurnas
    Participant

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have three servers Win 2003, Win 2008 and Win 2012. So I need to know how to enumerate all programs installed on all three.

I particularly need the method for Win 2008.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You can use Win32_Product. That has to be installed on 2003, though – it's on the original install media. It's probably the most reliable universal way.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

There are disadvantages to using Win32_Product. It only will report MSI installed applications and will start scan and recofiguration of every MSI on the system. See some articles with a quick search "Win32_Product bad":

I've posted a function to get installed programs using the registry before here:

If it needs to be adapted for remote use, then you can using remoting and Invoke-Expression or using remote registry methods. It's quick and clean to pull information.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.