Error Handling in Powershell

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ali Hassan 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Ali Hassan
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have a really simple script to get my serial numbers for my HP servers and it works with no problem and I have some error handling built into that as well. But when the scripts finishes I am getting an additional error which I cannot account for and it reads something like this.... "Get-WmiObject : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    At C:\powershell\Scripts\SerialNumber\serialnumber.ps1:4 char:40
    + Get-WmiObject win32_bios -ComputerName $server -ErrorAction SilentlyC ..."

My script is below:

$servers = Get-Content C:\powershell\Scripts\SerialNumber\servers.txt
    foreach ($server in $servers){
    Get-WmiObject win32_bios -ComputerName $server -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable ProcessError | Select-Object pscomputername,serialnumber | Sort-Object PSComputername 
    if($ProcessError) {
    Write-Warning -Message "Something went wrong, with the server $server!!"
    }
    }

As you can see it's a simple enough script but looks like its having issues reading from my text file? At the end I do get what i require. I can get all the serial numbers that I need, except for a couple of machines.

-A

David Schmidtberger
    Participant

My first guess would be that you have a blank line at the end of your text file.
    you can always add the "$error" variable into your warning message to see what the actual error is.

Rob Simmers
    Participant

There is a free e-book on Powershell Error Handling in the eBooks menu above. This is an example of proper error handling:

$servers = Get-Content C:\powershell\Scripts\SerialNumber\servers.txt

$results = foreach ($server in $servers){
        try {
            Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $server -ErrorAction Stop | 
            Select-Object -Property pscomputername,serialnumber
        }
        catch {
            $msg = "Error occured on server {0}!! {1}" -f $server, $_
            Write-Warning -Message $msg
        }
    }

$results | 
    Sort-Object -Property PSComputername 

As for the error message, an educated guess is that there is a blank line in the text file which is passed to Get-WMIObject as a NULL computername. The error handling above will account for it, or you can do something like this:

$servers = Get-Content C:\powershell\Scripts\SerialNumber\servers.txt | Where{$_}

The Where will return only non-null objects.

Ali Hassan
    Participant

Hi David,

Yes, you are right. It was something to do with my text file and a blank line. I figured it out soon after I posted this question, but unfortunately as it takes a while for a question to be approved, I could not cancel it.

Thanks for responding though!

-A

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.