Error trying to import Nuget PackageProvider

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason Robinson Jason Robinson 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jason Robinson
    Jason Robinson
    Participant

I have a computer behind a proxy and trying to get the Nuget package provider installed. I ran Install-PackageProvider -Name Nuget on a different PC on a different network and copied Nuget folder to $env:ProgramFiles\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies.

If I run Get-PackageProvider -ListAvailable it shows Nuget available.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-PackageProvider -ListAvailable

Name Version DynamicOptions
    —- ——- ————–
    msi 3.0.0.0 AdditionalArguments
    msu 3.0.0.0
    nuget 2.8.5.204
    PowerShellGet 1.0.0.1 PackageManagementProvider, Type, S...
    Programs 3.0.0.0 IncludeWindowsInstaller, IncludeSy...

However when I try to run Import-PackageProvider -Name Nuget I get the following error:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-PackageProvider -Name Nuget
    Import-PackageProvider : No match was found for the specified search criteria and provider name 'Nuget'. Try 'Get-PackageProvider -ListAvailable' to see if the provider exists on the system.At line:1 char:1
    + Import-PackageProvider -Name Nuget
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (Nuget:String) [Import-PackageProvider], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForCriteria,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.ImportPackageProvider

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Profile photo of David Jones
    David Jones
    Participant

Add -verbose and post the results. I had something similar and the verbose was showing that I was having issues reaching newget.org Our company uses OpenDNS and the site had been classified as "dynamic" and was blocked.

Profile photo of Henry Buckle
    Henry Buckle
    Participant

To get nuget to install using Install-PackageProvider from behind our proxy I had to run the following 2 lines first

$wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
    $wc.Proxy.Credentials = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials

I've added them to my profile to avoid further issues

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

The PackageManagement code is a bit tricky to follow in ILSpy, but you might try using a full path to the DLL when calling Import-PackageProvider, to see if there's any difference:

$path = (Get-PackageProvider -Name Nuget -ListAvailable).ProviderPath
    Import-PackageProvider $path

Jason Robinson
    Participant

Thanks for all of the replies.

Dave,

I tried what you mentioned and it's odd. I didn't get an error importing, however Nuget doesn't show if I run Get-PackageProvider.

PS C:\Windows\system32> $path = (Get-PackageProvider -Name Nuget -ListAvailable)
    .ProviderPath
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $path
    C:\Program Files (x86)\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies\nuget\2.8.5.204\Micr
    osoft.PackageManagement.NuGetProvider.dll
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-PackageProvider $path -Verbose
    VERBOSE: Loading an assembly 'C:\Program Files
    (x86)\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies\nuget\2.8.5.204\Microsoft.PackageMan
    agement.NuGetProvider.dll'.
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-PackageProvider

Name Version DynamicOptions
    —- ——- ————–
    msi 3.0.0.0 AdditionalArguments
    msu 3.0.0.0
    PowerShellGet 1.0.0.1 PackageManagementProvider, Type, S...
    Programs 3.0.0.0 IncludeWindowsInstaller, IncludeSy...

Jason Robinson
    Participant

I never figured out issues with Import-PackageProvider however I was able to get Henry's solution to work for me. I had to also add the the proxy address because we use a configuration file to redirect traffic, so that was another hour of troubleshooting.

Thanks again for everyone help!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.