Author Posts

October 20, 2017 at 1:44 am

Hi All,
I am trying to execute a remote PS session to an exchange 2010 Server.

$session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri http://$($script:ConfigFile.Settings.ExchangeServerSettings.ServerName)/Powershell
$job = Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock {
$Databases = Get-MailboxDatabase | Where-Object { $_.Name -notlike "Archive*" }
$DBCount = $Databases.Count
$SelectDatbase = Get-Random -Minimum 1 -Maximum $DBCount
enable-mailbox -Identity args[0] -Database ($Databases[$SelectDatbase]) -force
} -ArgumentList $txtUserName.Text -AsJob

however once i execute the code i get the following errors. any help would be appreciated

The term 'Where-Object' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Where-Object:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
    + PSComputerName        : petmulser009.peters.local

The term 'Get-Random' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-Random:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Cannot index into a null array.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

TIA

October 20, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I haven't seen the issue myself but the following may be relevant:

Where or where has my Where-Object gone?

Others might have more hands on experience with this, but this is a start.

October 20, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Thanks @john Carney. Will have a read through. its definitely the same issue I am facing. in the interim i have created a function as below

Function New-ExchangeMailbox
{
	Param
	(
		[String]$MailboxUser,
		[String]$DC
	)
	add-pssnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010
	$Databases = Get-MailboxDatabase | Where-Object { $_.Name -notlike "Archive*" }
	$DBCount = $Databases.Count

enable-mailbox -Identity $MailboxUser -DomainController $DC -Database ($Databases[$SelectDatbase]) 
}

$job = Start-Job -Name Exchange -ScriptBlock ${Function:New-ExchangeMailbox} -ArgumentList $txtUserName.Text, $($script:ConfigFile.Settings.DomainControllerSettings.DCServerName)
Receive-Job $job.ID
Wait-Job -Id $job.ID | Out-Null

the main drawback with the above method is exchange management tools needs to be loaded on the machine that the script runs.

Thanks again.

October 21, 2017 at 11:01 am

Hi,
Just an update on my progress with the above issue. I believe i found a work around thanks to the article that john directed me to. in case anyone in the future stumbles upon this issue this could be a possible solution

create a remote PS Remote session to the exchange server

$Script:session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri http://EXCHANGESERVER.FQDN/Powershell

i then run my first PS remote job to get all Exchange servers mailbox databases. the invoke-command is run as a job so i can use receive-job to get the outback and save it to a variable

if ($Script:DatabaseInfo -eq $null)
{
$DatabaseJob = Invoke-Command -Session $Script:session -ScriptBlock {get-mailboxdatabase} -AsJob
Wait-Job -Id $DatabaseJob.ID -Timeout 120 | Out-Null
$Script:DatabaseInfo = Receive-Job $DatabaseJob
} 
$ExchangeDatbase = New-ExchangeMailbox -Database $Script:DatabaseInfo

A function is then called New-ExchangeMailbox to sort exchange databases. The below function gets all mailbox databases and filters out the Archive databases. then returns the value back which is saved to $ExchangeDatbase

{
	try
	{
		Param
		(
			[String]$Databases
		)

$DatabaseFilter = $Databases | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name | Where-Object{ $_ -notlike "Archive*" }
		$DBCount = $DatabaseFilter.Count

return ($DatabaseFilter[$SelectDatbase])
	}

Catch
	{
		$Script:ErrorLog += "$($_.Exception.Message) -- ($(Get-date).DateTime) `n"
	}
}

Finally a second PS remote connection to create the mailbox with the selected database

$MailboxCreatejob = Invoke-Command -Session $Script:session -ScriptBlock { enable-mailbox -Identity $args[0] -Database $args[1] } -ArgumentList $txtUserName.Text, $ExchangeDatbase  -AsJob

volla ! problem solved. its a bit more code than i would have liked but seem to work like a charm.

Thanks Again

October 23, 2017 at 4:21 am

Hi,
Just an update on my progress with the above issue. I believe i found a work around thanks to the article that john directed me to. in case anyone in the future stumbles upon this issue this could be a possible solution

create a remote PS Remote session to the exchange server

$Script:session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri http://EXCHANGESERVER.FQDN/Powershell

i then run my first PS remote job to get all Exchange servers mailbox databases. the invoke-command is run as a job so i can use receive-job to get the outback and save it to a variable

if ($Script:DatabaseInfo -eq $null)
{
$DatabaseJob = Invoke-Command -Session $Script:session -ScriptBlock {get-mailboxdatabase} -AsJob
Wait-Job -Id $DatabaseJob.ID -Timeout 120 | Out-Null
$Script:DatabaseInfo = Receive-Job $DatabaseJob
} 
$ExchangeDatbase = New-ExchangeMailbox -Database $Script:DatabaseInfo

A function is then called New-ExchangeMailbox to sort exchange databases. The below function gets all mailbox databases and filters out the Archive databases. then returns the value back which is saved to $ExchangeDatbase

{
	try
	{
		Param
		(
			[String]$Databases
		)

$DatabaseFilter = $Databases | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name | Where-Object{ $_ -notlike "Archive*" }
		$DBCount = $DatabaseFilter.Count

$script:$ExchangeDatabase ($DatabaseFilter[$SelectDatbase])
	}

Catch
	{
		$Script:ErrorLog += "$($_.Exception.Message) -- ($(Get-date).DateTime) `n"
	}
}

Finally a second PS remote connection to create the mailbox with the selected database

$MailboxCreatejob = Invoke-Command -Session $Script:session -ScriptBlock { enable-mailbox -Identity $args[0] -Database $args[1] } -ArgumentList $txtUserName.Text, $script:$ExchangeDatabase -AsJob

volla ! problem solved. its a bit more code than i would have liked but seem to work like a charm.

Thanks Again