Exclude folders with special characters when using Get-Childitem

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Exclude folders with special characters when using Get-Childitem

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 3

I have folders with %, _ and () in the names, how can I exclude these chars?
      Get-ChildItem c:\ -Name -Directory

Participant
      Topics: 6
      Replies: 552
      Helping Hand

What do you mean by exclude them? Do you mean ignore?

Participant

Yes, I would like to ignore them.

Participant
      Helping Hand

My questions aren’t the best, I’m still lacking context. What is the issue? Are you getting errors? Are you wanting to list all except those with special characters?

Participant

My questions aren’t the best, I’m still lacking context. What is the issue? Are you getting errors? Are you wanting to list all except those with special characters? – Yes

I finally managed to get the command: Get-ChildItem C:\ | Where-Object Name -notmatch “^%” but now I’m battling to add the other characters

Participant
      Replies: 4

This will return objects that contain numbers and letters only. i.e. no special characters 🙂

Participant
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 328
      Helping Hand

To exclude just those characters, use the line below.  Separate multiple characters with ‘|’

Participant
      Helping Hand

I also initially thought “wouldn’t it be easier to include than exclude?” but then I recalled just how many special characters there are. This regex pattern matches the characters you listed.

Here is a test you can run to confirm it will match all.

It can be simplified to this so long as you leave it as an object with a name property. You can let it be extracted as part of the where-object process instead of -name in get-childitem or deal with it later on.

Then you still have your object and if you need to get down to just the name you have the many normal powershell ways.

Take care.

Participant

This will return objects that contain numbers and letters only. i.e. no special characters 🙂

<textarea class=”ace_text-input” style=”opacity: 0; height: 17.6px; width: 6.59775px; left: 44px; top: 0px;” spellcheck=”false” wrap=”off”></textarea>

Get-ChildItem c:\ | Where-Object Name -match “^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$”
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This returns exactly what i’m looking for. thanks for the assist

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Exclude folders with special characters when using Get-Childitem’ is closed to new replies.