ExecutionPolicy parameter

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Simeon Iksanov 2 years ago.

• Author

Simeon Iksanov
    Participant

powershell.exe -? says there is a parameter ExecutionPolicy

when I try to run

c:\ > powershell.exe -executionPolicy Unrestricted -command "Get-ExecutionPolicy"

RemoteSigned

why?

Noam lesnik
    Participant

Hi,

you can run it like this to get the expected output:
    powershell.exe -executionPolicy Unrestricted -command "Get-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process"

I hope this helps.

Simeon Iksanov
    Participant

but i still cannot run remote scripts..

Noam lesnik
    Participant

You specify the script path with -File parameter?

Simeon Iksanov
    Participant

yes

Noam lesnik
    Participant

That is odd,

I've just downloaded a script from Script Center to try it on my machine and it works as expected.
    My execution policy is RemoveSigned so i cannot run it in normal powershell window, but it works if i run it like this
    powershell.exe -executionPolicy Unrestricted -command "Get-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process" -File "C:\Users\\Desktop\ActiveSyncReport.ps1"

Edit:
    forget all i worte before. it doesnt work here too.

Simeon Iksanov
    Participant

you are trying to run _local_ script

try
    powershell.exe -executionPolicy Unrestricted -File "\\some\network\share\script.ps1

Noam lesnik
    Participant

Just edited my last post, it's not working for me too

Noam lesnik
    Participant

After some more digging around, i think the this is an issue of executionpolicy scope precedence, its described here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh847748.aspx

i got a clue to this by running "Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted" and getting an the following error:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy : Windows PowerShell updated your execution policy successfully, but the setting is overridden by a policy defined at a more specific scope. Due to the override, your shell will
    retain its current effective execution policy of RemoteSigned. Type "Get-ExecutionPolicy -List" to view your execution policy settings. For more information please see "Get-Help Set-ExecutionPolicy".
    At line:1 char:1

Dave Wyatt

Looks like you've got an execution policy being assigned by Group Policy, which is why your effective policy is still set to RemoteSigned. You can see more detail with: powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command Get-ExecutionPolicy -List

If the MachinePolicy or UserPolicy options are anything other than "Undefined", then they will take precedence over everything else in the list (including Process, which is what gets set by powershell.exe's parameter.

Simeon Iksanov
    Participant

Noam, Dave thanks a lot

now it is clear to me

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.