Existing SMB Connection Doesn’t Exist and Can’t Be Disconnected

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Existing SMB Connection Doesn’t Exist and Can’t Be Disconnected

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 14

After deciding (perhaps wrongly) that “net use” is not the Powershell way, and that New-PSDrive is the non-preferred older way, I’m trying to use New-SmbMapping to map a drive, but it keeps failing with an existing remembered connection. So I’m doing experiments, as below, and am reduced to finding no explanation and having to ask here … “Why am I seeing the following behavior?!”

In the above, you can see who I am as I run this experiment.

In the above, you can see there’s an existing connection to \\filecab\drawer1. I’m unsure how this connection is being established, although it’s possible I connected to this share at some time in the past, but I can find no evidence via the GUI of being connected.

In the above you can see that, yep, there’s a SMB connection. But when I try to disconnect it…

If I understand the above, it says the connection that exists doesn’t really exist.

I don’t understand. Hopefully someone here can enlighten me as to what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 9
      Helping Hand

The Powershell drives are here:

> Get-PSDrive

The UNC Drives are here:

> net use

I Think you have stored the Password in Windows:

The WindowsPasswords for UNC Path (and others) are here:

> rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.