Experience level before attending

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Derrick Michelson 5 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author

Derrick Michelson
    Participant

I know this is kind of a tricky question to answer, but I kind of consider myself an advanced beginner when it comes to Powershell. Should I still consider attending the summit or would most of the subject matter be over my head?
    Thanks in advance.

Derrick Michelson
    Participant

I guess I should add that my goal over the next few months is to really build out the foundational knowledge and maybe cross over to an intermediate level of experience.

Joel Reed
    Participant

I think so. I've been multiple times and its certainly "intermediate" to advanced. In the sense that there are no 101 level presentations. I think the assumption is that you've used PowerShell in production. As in solving a problem for yourself or others using your scripting. Going beyond just reading a book, or watching online classes. Additionally that you recognize that PowerShell is something that you want to continue to invest time in for yourself and your career.

"Advanced" doesn't mean complete knowledge anyway. Most "advanced" speakers have invested a lot of time in one area but aren't necessarily advanced in others. The person that presents a session one hour will likely be sitting next to you watching/learning from someone else in the next hour. You will see them in the halls, on the walk over, you'll eat with them. There is plenty of time for follow up questions if something goes over your head. I've yet to meet anyone there who wasn't more then willing to talk about PowerShell and what aspect they've spent most of their time learning. Come willing to learn and you won't be disappointed.

Richard Siddaway

As the person primarily responsible for selecting content for the Summit I agree with the statement that we don't do 101 level sessions. If you're at the stage where you're writing code to solve problems then there will be sessions for you. One of the things we doing new this year is have a series of sessions on a subject that start with an introductory session and become progressively more advanced. They aren't "tracks" in the sense of other conferences as they are only 3 or 4 session series. They will enable you to learn a lot about a particular topic and have the opportunity to ask questions.

I'm just about to start notifying speakers of the accepted sessions and the schedule should start appearing in 10 days or so. I'll announce its availability on PowerShell.org

To build on Joel's comments we've been told by many people that they learn as much, if not more, in the conversations over lunch and coffee. WE don't have a speaker room and as Joel said you can find yourself sat next to the speaker from the session you were just in!

Most people underestimate their abilities so I expect you'll be fine. Have a look at the agenda when it comes out and if you have any questions you can always post them on this forum.

Hope to see you at Summit in 2018.

Will Anderson
      Keymaster

To add to Richard's response, I considered myself much of an advanced beginner as well when I attended my first PowerShell Summit. Even if some of the concepts at sessions I attended were a little out of my grasp, I found myself recalling some of those discussions last on as my understanding of PowerShell continued to grow.

It's a great experience overall. Even more so, the connections you make while you're there are just as valuable as the content delivered. I'd highly recommend it.

Derrick Michelson
    Participant

Great, thank you all for the advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.