Export certificate using Base 64 .CER format with PowerShell ?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mario Mario 4 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

How do I export a certificate using Base 64 .CER format with PowerShell ?
    The Export-Certificate cmdlet has a 'Type' parameter with a P7B value, but I'm not sure if that's the same as selecting the 'Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER)' radio button in the 'Certificate Export Wizard' using the GUI (see screenshot below)

Screenshot

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

P7B is binary bundle of certificates which is not what you're looking for. Unfortunately, the Export-Certificate cmdlet does not offer the "Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER)" type to be exported but you can use below snippet to get the job done.

$cert = Get-Item -Path Cert:\LocalMachine\CA\D559A586669B08F46A30A133F8A9ED3D038E2EA8
    $certFile = 'C:\My\exported.cer'

$content = @(
        '-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----'
        [System.Convert]::ToBase64String($cert.RawData, 'InsertLineBreaks')
        '-----END CERTIFICATE-----'
    )

$content | Out-File -FilePath $certFile -Encoding ascii

Profile photo of Mario
    Mario
    Participant

Thanks Daniel.

I found that 'certutil -encode' can also be used for exporting to Base64 format.

I noticed that exporting to Base64 format using both 'certutil -encode' and the MMC Certificate GUI adds the 'BEGIN/END CERTIFICATE' tags, and adds line breaks after 65 characters. And with ToBase64String, the InsertLineBreaks parameter adds line breaks after 76 characters, and the 'BEGIN/END CERTIFICATE' tags need to be hand-coded.

I know the line breaks shouldn't matter, but just to retain compatibility with the native Windows way in which Base64 certificates are exported, I ended up using the following code:

$cert = Get-ChildItem Cert:\LocalMachine\My | where { $_.Subject -imatch 'mydomain\.com' }
    $DERCert    = 'C:\Cert_DER_Encoded.cer'
    $Base64Cert = 'C:\Cert_Base64_Encoded.cer' 
    Export-Certificate -Cert $cert -FilePath $DERCert
    Start-Process -FilePath 'certutil.exe' -ArgumentList "-encode $DERCert $Base64Cert" -WindowStyle Hidden

Thanks,
    Mario

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.