Author Posts

April 10, 2015 at 3:55 am

Hello i am trying to export my AD users to a CSV of a particular format so that i can upload them to a third party application. So far i can get the users and format them in a table with the format i want using..

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Current Staff,OU=Our Organisation,DC=OurOrg,DC=COM" | Format-Table Name,GivenName,Surname,UserPrincipalName -a -HideTableHeaders   

Great i have all the columns and data i need. I just want to export this to a csv that already has the headers 'Username' 'First Name' Last Name' 'Email'. When i pipe the above to..

Export-Csv -Path "C:\Holding\Okta AD Exports\third-party-template.csv" 

I get a load of guff in the CSV file and the headers have gone (see atatched). What am i doing wrong? Is there a way to add custom headers when i format the table so i can just export them to a new CSV? I think its because it cant match up the data with the headers but not sure why.

Thanks in advance!

April 10, 2015 at 4:02 am

Hello

Is this what you wanted:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Current Staff,OU=Our Organisation,DC=OurOrg,DC=COM" | Select-Object Name,GivenName,Surname,UserPrincipalName | Export-Csv -Path "C:\Holding\Okta AD Exports\third-party-template.csv"

April 10, 2015 at 4:03 am

remove format table its not needed

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Current Staff,OU=Our Organisation,DC=OurOrg,DC=COM" |  Export-Csv -Path "C:\Holding\Okta AD Exports\third-party-template.csv" -NoTypeInformation

The only thing you can pipe after format-table is out-file, other than that its the end of the road

April 10, 2015 at 4:18 am

As a note, consider reading "The Big Book of PowerShell Gotchas." It's free, very short, and it explains why Format-Table was messing you up.

April 10, 2015 at 8:22 am

Thanks for your replies everyone, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. You have resolved the issue for me. Ill be sure to get that book!