Export Information to CSV?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jay Jones Jay Jones 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jay Jones
    Jay Jones

Hello i am trying to export my AD users to a CSV of a particular format so that i can upload them to a third party application. So far i can get the users and format them in a table with the format i want using..

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Current Staff,OU=Our Organisation,DC=OurOrg,DC=COM" | Format-Table Name,GivenName,Surname,UserPrincipalName -a -HideTableHeaders   

Great i have all the columns and data i need. I just want to export this to a csv that already has the headers 'Username' 'First Name' Last Name' 'Email'. When i pipe the above to..

Export-Csv -Path "C:\Holding\Okta AD Exports\third-party-template.csv" 

I get a load of guff in the CSV file and the headers have gone (see atatched). What am i doing wrong? Is there a way to add custom headers when i format the table so i can just export them to a new CSV? I think its because it cant match up the data with the headers but not sure why.

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Ondrej Zilinec
    Ondrej Zilinec

Is this what you wanted:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Current Staff,OU=Our Organisation,DC=OurOrg,DC=COM" | Select-Object Name,GivenName,Surname,UserPrincipalName | Export-Csv -Path "C:\Holding\Okta AD Exports\third-party-template.csv"
    Profile photo of H Man
    H Man

remove format table its not needed

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Current Staff,OU=Our Organisation,DC=OurOrg,DC=COM" |  Export-Csv -Path "C:\Holding\Okta AD Exports\third-party-template.csv" -NoTypeInformation

The only thing you can pipe after format-table is out-file, other than that its the end of the road

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

As a note, consider reading "The Big Book of PowerShell Gotchas." It's free, very short, and it explains why Format-Table was messing you up.

Profile photo of Jay Jones
    Jay Jones

Thanks for your replies everyone, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. You have resolved the issue for me. Ill be sure to get that book!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.