Author Posts

September 7, 2014 at 6:55 am

Hey Folks!

I've been tasked with a small project to export an entire companies email from 8/11/14 – 8/27/14. The current issue I'm running into is mainly the date range. I'm not sure how to properly format the date ranges so powershell can understand.

Here's what I've go so far:

$mailboxes = get-mailbox

foreach ($mailbox in $mailboxes) {

new-mailboxexportrequest -mailbox $mailbox -ContentFilter {(Received -lt '08/11/14') -and (Received -gt '08/27/14')} -FilePath \\server\share\$mailbox.pst }

The company is only about 30 users big, so I'm not too concerned with the get-mailbox command being a "time constraint".

Thanks for any input!

September 7, 2014 at 7:10 am

Zack,

Try to use [datetime]'2014-08-11' and [datetime]'2014-08-27' instead of the US date format.

Regards
Daniel

September 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

This is what I've changed it to:

$mailboxes = get-mailbox

foreach ($mailbox in $mailboxes) {

new-mailboxexportrequest -mailbox $mailbox -ContentFilter {([datetime]'2014-08-11') -and ([datetime]'2014-08-27')} -FilePath \\server\share\$mailbox.pst }

This failed, it couldn't find the [datetime] parameter.

However, for giggles, I tried my original script. It "works"!

The PST exports for everyone's mailbox, but it only contailts emails on both of those dates. So I need to adjust my original script to pull emails through a date, not on one date and another.

September 8, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Sorry. What I've actually meant was to replace only the date in your command like below:

$mailboxes = get-mailbox

foreach ($mailbox in $mailboxes) 
{
  new-mailboxexportrequest -mailbox $mailbox -ContentFilter {(Received -gt [datetime]'2014-08-11') -and (Received -lt [datetime]'2014-08-27')} -FilePath \\server\share\$mailbox.pst
}

Edit:
I think the content filter in your original code is excluding the date range you're looking for. Your filter is looking for emails received before (-lt = lower than) and after (-gt = greater than) but not in the specified date range.

September 8, 2014 at 4:10 pm

So after working with my manager this afternoon, we were able to find the flaws!

We found that I had my -ge than and -le in the wrong place. He also helped me organize the script for better read ability. See below:

$mailboxes = get-mailbox

foreach ($mailbox in $mailboxes) {

new-mailboxexportrequest -mailbox $mailbox `
-ContentFilter {(Received -ge '08/11/14') -and (Received -le '08/27/14')} `
-FilePath \\Server\Share\$mailbox.pst

}

It's always a blast to sit down and really churn over the code with another colleague.

Cheers!