Extracting information from Event Log 'Message'?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of thickgit
    thickgit
    Participant

Not sure if this is doable....

If you run

Get-EventLog -Logname System -InstanceID 2147489661 -Newest 1

you'll get the latest 'uptime' event from the System Event Log (w2k8/Windows 7).

Is it possible to extract the number of seconds from the 'Message' property and assign them to a variable? (i.e. 'The system uptime is 43 seconds')

For example, I'd like to be able to say something along the lines of "if $seconds -ge 10800" then to reboot the machine/send an alert etc?

Profile photo of Robert Westerlund
    Robert Westerlund
    Participant

Assuming that it is a server you're looking at (i.e. you don't have to consider sleep/hibernate), you could get the system uptime very easily, using WMI. Just compare the LastBootUpTime on Win32_OperatingSystem with the current date. A sample below:

$bootupTime = (Get-CimInstance Win32_OperatingSystem).LastBootUpTime
    $uptime = New-TimeSpan -Start $bootupTime -End (Get-Date)

Robert Westerlund
    Participant

Of course, if you really wanted to get the information from the eventlog, you could just run a regular expression on the Message property of the event log entry (assuming that the string never changes format (or language) in any way).

(get-eventlog -LogName system -InstanceId 2147489661 -Newest 1).Message -match "(?\d+)"
    $uptimeInSeconds = $Matches["seconds"]

But I think I would rather use the WMI objects (the previous post) instead of parsing it from a string from the eventlog.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Event log messages are basically a template with some number of "replacement strings" (think: parameters). In the case of the event that you're working with, the number of seconds is stored in index 4 of the ReplacementStrings array:

$event = Get-EventLog -Logname System -InstanceID 2147489661 -Newest 1
    if ($event)
    {
        $seconds = $event.ReplacementStrings[4]
    }

Robert Westerlund
    Participant

Ahh, I wasn't aware it worked using ReplacementStrings. That approach is way better than regexing the Message. Thanks for correcting! Myself, I still prefer the WMI approach, though. Which approach would you have used, Dave?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

For system uptime, I'd be using WMI as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.