F11 in powershell ISE

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

by happysysadm at 2013-03-17 01:44:14

Hello everybody,

I have been using PowerGUI since 2008 and I am almost decided to switch to Powershell ISE.

Something I don't like that much is not to have the ability to debug script in a quick manner.

With PowerGUI I could writes three lines of code and step into (F11) without saving, nor inserting breakpoints or whatever.

Is there any reason why Microsoft has decided that debugging would need to go through 1) saving the ps1 file 2) pressing F9 on first line 3) Pressing F5 4) keeping on with F11 ?

Thanks very much for your view on this one!!

Carlo

by MattG at 2013-03-17 06:30:00

While I can't speak to why you are required to save before starting a debug session in the ISE, the reason F9, F5, F11 were chosen was likely for consistency with other debuggers. F11, F5, and F9 map to 'Step Into', 'Go/Continue', and 'Set Breakpoint' respectively in the ISE, WinDbg, and Internet Explorer.

by DonJ at 2013-03-17 08:40:34

The ISE uses PSBreakpoints, which for a line breakpoint has to be pointed at a saved script file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.