Failover cluster module firewall port(s)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pdx99 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

pdx99
    Participant

I am planning to manage multiple windows clusters from a mgmt system using the failover cluster module cmdlets on the mgmt system. The mgmt system is in a separate subnet from the clusters.

Do the failover cluster module cmdlets (get-cluster, get-clusternode, etc) utilize wsman and TCP/5985 would be the only port needed to be opened on a physical firewall between the subnets? This assumes winrm is enabled and the winrm windows firewall rule enabled on the cluster nodes.

Thanks

Dakota Clark
    Participant

Based on errors I've seen in the past I believe the cluster cmdelts use RPC to communicate.

Get-Cluster : Check the spelling of the cluster name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. Make sure
    the cluster nodes are turned on and connected to the network or contact your network administrator.
        The RPC server is unavailable
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-Cluster -Name Cluster1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ConnectionError: (:) [Get-Cluster], ClusterCmdletException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ClusterRpcConnection,Microsoft.FailoverClusters.PowerShell.GetClusterCommand

In this case the "The RPC server is unavailable" is what leads me to my conclusion.

pdx99
      Participant

Thanks for the reply. I believe you are right because – since posting this question – I set up a w2k8r2 cluster in a lab and without winrm enabled or the winrm fw rule enabled on the two cluster nodes, I was able to successfully run the cluster cmdlets from a remote system

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.