Fails installing on XPSP3

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

by Winfried at 2013-01-09 08:13:15

Hello

As an enhanced alternative to cmd.exe on XPSP3, someone recommended PowerShell.

I downloaded PowerShell 3.0, but it's an .MSU file, which doesn't install.

Next, I tried installing PowerShell 2.0 ("Windows Management Framework Core (WinRM 2.0 and Windows PowerShell 2.0)"), but it fails with:
    [quote]Windows Management Framework Core Setup Error: Setup cannot proceed. Windows Management Framework Core is already installed on your system.[/quote]

How can I install PS 2.0 or 3.0 on XPSP3? FWIW, I have .Net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0.

Thank you.

by DonJ at 2013-01-09 08:21:25

You cannot install 3.0 on XP. It isn't supported on XP – that's clearly indicated on the download page. Windows 7 is the oldest client OS supported for v3.

You should also install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

The error message indicates that 2.0 is already installed, or at least enough of it to make the installer package believe so. See if there's anything in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0.

And I would not describe PowerShell as an "enhanced alternative to Cmd.exe." PowerShell is an entirely different shell, with different syntax, different commands, and different rules. It might be worth reading up on it a bit before you jump in, just so you know what you're getting into. The "Books" page on this site has some free ebooks you can probably review quite quickly to see what PowerShell is all about.

There's also somewhat lower value in running PowerShell on XP. XP itself doesn't provide any PowerShell integration. PowerShell on XP would be useful mainly if you have servers, or newer client computers, that are running PowerShell-enabled products. Exchange Server 2007+, SharePoint 2010+, SQL Server 2012+, and so on. Most of the PowerShell add-ins for those products will not install on XP.

Think of PowerShell as being a bit like the MMC. It's not useful without snap-ins, and many of the available snap-ins simply won't run on an XP machine. Most administrators in my experience are using Windows 7 or 8, both of which are better supported for the newer software.

Good luck!

by Winfried at 2013-01-10 05:46:02

Thanks a lot for the infos.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.