Feedback on an idea?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 3 days, 22 hours ago.

• Author

Jeff Christman
    Participant

What are your thoughts about creating a PowerShell focused site on StackExchange.

I am interested in becoming more involved and I have a couple of ideas about how to best use my time to build community

1. Help build out Powershell.org by getting more involved here and cross promotion on other powershell tech boards

2. Create a new site at stackexchange and lead that effort.

FAQ for Q&A sites in StackExchange
    https://area51.stackexchange.com/faq

I don't really have any plan or preferences yet and right now its more of a fact finding and getting some feedback. Please feel free to add your ideas on how best we can grow this comuunity

Thanks

Don Jones
    Keymaster

So, first off, I don't think anyone would object to you spearheading a dedicated Stack Exchange on PowerShell. I certainly wouldn't.

That said, there are already dozens of places – including StackOverflow and ServerFault – where PowerShell questions are routinely asked and answered. Here, the TechNet forums, lots of spots. I'm not sure I personally see the value of Yet Another PowerShell Q&A Site, but that's just me – if you see the value, then forge ahead ;).

I'll offer this: While Stack Exchange's format obviously works great in a lot of situations, it isn't _necessarily_ the best or only format. We get a lot of posts here, for example, that are asking "what's the best way," something most Stack Exchange sites prohibit. So I wouldn't want to replace PowerShell.org's forums with a Stack Exchange. And, while StackOverflow itself is obviously wildly successful, I've personally found its model to work less well with an admin audience (as on ServerFault); admins tend to follow-up less, so you get fewer answer votes, less up/down voting, and all the other things that make Stack Exchange "work." Just an audience cultural difference, I think.

You're _certainly_ welcome to chip in here – we can _always_ use more folks answering questions and offering alternatives and explanations to questions that have already been answered. It's always deeply appreciated when people take time to help others!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.