Fetch last 3 users logged in on each server on serverlist

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Brian Dons Petersen
    Brian Dons Petersen

I need some powershell help with a special custom PS1 script.

I have a list.txt of 225 servers (OS 2003, 2008 and 2012) and I want to find and get the last 3 domain users who have logged in on these servers. I have both hostname and IP on all the servers.

This is due to a task, where I need to find a system-owner on each server which nobody knows what is used for, and i would like to find some clues in the last 3 users logged in, to have something to go on from there.

Can anybody help me with this?

I am a domain admin on the serverdomain and admin on all the servers.

The servers are also running SCCM Agent, so I been thinking the information could maybe be fetched through the agents running on the servers?

I would apppreciate if anyone outthere could help on this one. 🙂

Best regards
    Brian P

Profile photo of Edmond Yee
    Edmond Yee

You should be able to use Get-WinEvent and filter on the Security log for 4624 events and go from there

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken

Shameless plug for my script on technet

SCCM tracks the user logon's but does not give you a history of logon's per system. But it does have device affinity reports that will give the primary(top) user of a system.

Brian Dons Petersen

Hi Jonathan,

Thx for the reply. I read the script and understand what i does, but i am no where near a powershell coder, so i really dont know what to do to make this script and fetch the information and output it in a txt of exls file.

Could you help me make the script? I would gladly send a appreciation amount on paypal to you or those WHO can help me with this.

Best regards
      Brian P

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    $Computername = "."
    $return = Get-EventLog -LogName Security -ComputerName $Computername -InstanceId 4624
    Write-Output "Logon Type 2 - interactive"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 2}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 3 - network"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 3}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 4 - batch"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 4}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 5 - service"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 5}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 7 - unlock"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 7}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 8 - networkceartext"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 8}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 9 - newcredentials (Runas)"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 9}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 10 - remoteinteractive"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 10}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    Write-Output "Logon Type 11 - cachedinteractive"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 11}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending

$computername = "." – This is the computer name of the system to collect logon information. The period is a shortcut for local system. You can replace it with the remote computer's name
    $return = Get-EventLog -LogName Security -ComputerName $Computername -InstanceId 4624 – This collects all of the event id 4624 records.
    Write-Output "Logon Type 2 – interactive"
    $return|Where-Object -FilterScript{$_.replacementstrings[8] -eq 2}|foreach-object{$_.replacementstrings[5]}|Group-Object|Sort-Object -Property Count -Descending
    – The rest of the script just repeats this logic for all of the different logon types. For the logon type 2 (which is a interactive logon of the console) get all of the events from the query of the event log for this logon type. Group them and sort by a count per user in a descending order. The Write-output just explains what the Logon type is being returned.
    So while the script does not give you the last three logons it will quickly tell you the most active users and how they are logging on. There is the output from one of my windows 10 workstations

Logon Type 2 - interactive
    Count Name                      Group                                                                                              
    ----- ----                      -----                                                                                              
        6 DWM-1                     {DWM-1, DWM-1, DWM-1, DWM-1...}                                                                    
    Logon Type 3 - network
    Logon Type 4 - batch
    Logon Type 5 - service
      375 SYSTEM                    {SYSTEM, SYSTEM, SYSTEM, SYSTEM...}                                                                
        4 UpdatusUser               {UpdatusUser, UpdatusUser, UpdatusUser, UpdatusUser}                                               
        3 IUSR                      {IUSR, IUSR, IUSR}                                                                                 
        3 LOCAL SERVICE             {LOCAL SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE}                                                      
        3 NETWORK SERVICE           {NETWORK SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE}                                                
    Logon Type 7 - unlock
        4 jon.warnken@gmail.com     {jon.warnken@gmail.com, jon.warnken@gmail.com, jon.warnken@gmail.com, jon.warnken@gmail.com}       
    Logon Type 8 - networkceartext
    Logon Type 9 - newcredentials (Runas)
    Logon Type 10 - remoteinteractive
    Logon Type 11 - cachedinteractive
        4 jon.warnken@gmail.com     {jon.warnken@gmail.com, jon.warnken@gmail.com, jon.warnken@gmail.com, jon.warnken@gmail.com}       
    Brian Dons Petersen

Hi Jonathan,
    wow great. I tested in and it Works.

Could the computername variable? be edited so it uses a list of servers, saved in .txt ?

And output the server and 3 last logins on a line and then a new line for each server?

Thx sofar jonathan

Best regards

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers

You should consider making this more of a PSObject so that you can perform queries against it. Try something like this

function Get-Logon {
        param (
            [string[]]$ComputerName = "."
        begin {
            #Put the logon types in a hash table to do lookups
            $logonType = @{
                2 =	 "Interactive"
                3 =  "Network"
                4 =	 "Batch"
                5 =  "Service"
                7 =	 "Unlock"
                8 =	 "NetworkCleartext"
                9 =	 "NewCredentials"
                10 = "RemoteInteractive"
                11 = "CachedInteractive"
        process {
            $results = foreach ($computer in $ComputerName) {
                Write-Verbose ("Processing computer {0}" -f $Computer)
                $params = @{
                    ComputerName = $Computer
                    LogName = "Security"
                    InstanceID = 4624
                    ErrorAction = "Stop"
                try {
                    $return = Get-EventLog @params
                    if ($return) {
                        Write-Verbose ("Found {0} records on {1}" -f $return.Count, $Computer)
                        $return | Select EntryType, 
                    else {
                        Write-Verbose ("No records found on {0}" -f $Computer)
                catch {
                    $msg = ("Unable to collect event information from {0}. {1}" -f $Computer, $_)
                    Write-Verbose $msg
                    $props = @{
                        EntryType = "Error"
                        TimeGenerated = $null
                        LogonType = $msg
                        User = $null
                        LogonTypeName = $null
                        ComputerName = $Computer
                    New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $props
            } #foreach
        } #process
        } #end
    } #Get-Logon
    $logons = Get-Logon

Once you have the logon information, you can filter it as needed. You could get logon counts like this:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $logons | Group-Object LogonTypeName -NoElement | Sort-Object Count -Descending
    Count Name                     
    ----- ----                     
     2910 Service                  
      106 Unlock                   
      106 CachedInteractive        
       12 Interactive              
        6 Network         

As far returning the first 3, is that the top 3 interactive logons? You can add parameters to the function to return only what you care about. The function allows you do multiple computers:

$logons = Get-Logon -ComputerName "Computer1", "Computer2", "Computer3"
    $logons = Get-Logon -Computername (Get-Content C:\Servers.txt)
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers. Reason: Multiple computer example

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.