File watcher

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of fair64 fair64 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of fair64
    fair64
    Participant

I am trying to set up a script that will email me when it has been modified. The script works fine except that I receive two emails per change. Any clues on how to fix this?
    Thanks in advance.

$fileWatcher = New-Object System.IO.FileSystemWatcher
    $fileWatcher.Path = "C:\watch"

Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $fileWatcher -EventName Changed -SourceIdentifier File.Changed -Action {
    $Global:t = $event
    Write-Host ("File Changed: {0} on {1}" -f $event.SourceEventArgs.Name,
    (Split-Path $event.SourceEventArgs.FullPath))
    Send-MailMessage -Body "$body" -to "to@email.com -from "email@test.com" -Subject "test" -smtp "smtpgateway"
    }

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That's a common complaint with the FileSystemWatcher, which basically comes from the fact that many file system operations are actually combinations of multiple steps, from the Win32 API's point of view. You can find several workarounds for this over on StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1764809/filesystemwatcher-changed-event-is-raised-twice

Profile photo of fair64
    fair64
    Participant

Thanks Dave

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Probably not the best answer but you could code in a counter in there and use the modulus operator to only send emails upon even or odd numbered iterations.

Profile photo of fair64
    fair64
    Participant

Hi Adam,
    I was thinking about doing something like that but wasn't sure how to incorporate this into the code (still learning)...

Profile photo of fair64
    fair64
    Participant

This is what I ended up doing:
    $file = (Get-Item C:\watch\me.txt).LastWriteTime.ToString("MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss")
    #$file.LastWriteTime.ToString("MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss") | out-file C:\watch\timestamp.txt
    $orgfile = Get-Content C:\watch\timestamp.txt

# if file has been modified
    if ($file -gt $orgfile)
    {
    $file | out-file C:\watch\timestamp.txt
    Write-Host "Modified"
    Send-MailMessage -Body "File has been modified on $file" -to "admin@email.com" -from "filemodifier@email.com" -Subject "Modified File detected" -smtp "smtpgateway"
    }

# if the file has not been modified
    else
    {
    Write-Host "Not Modified"
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.