filtering hostname from the output of a powershell command

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A filtering hostname from the output of a powershell command

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 months ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 0

Hi All,

Below command will give us the list of machines which are associated with account "john.hilton" from the domain "ags.com". This command is working pretty fine and giving us the list of host names.

Now i want to check whether the host where i am running this script is also in the list or not. If the host name is in the list it should return hostname. if host name is not in the list then it should not return anything. How can i achieve this?

below is the command i am running.

((Get-ADUser -Server ags.com -Identity "john.hilton" -Properties LogonWorkstations).LogonWorkstations).split(",") | findstr hostname

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1530
    Helping Hand

You can get the hostname with the environment variable $ENV:ComputerName. You should read the help about_Comparison_Operators to learn how to compare objects in Powershell ... read the examples as well please.

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 36
    Helping Hand

Using your example code:

$Hostnames = ((Get-ADUser -Server ags.com -Identity "john.hilton" -Properties LogonWorkstations).LogonWorkstations).split(",") |
        findstr hostname

If ($Env:COMPUTERNAME -in $hostnames) {
        return $Env:COMPUTERNAME
    }

The topic ‘filtering hostname from the output of a powershell command’ is closed to new replies.