Find and Replace Strings in Multiple Files

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ataur Rasool Ataur Rasool 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of BJTys
    BJTys
    Participant

Hello and my apologies up front if this has been addressed under a different post. Honestly, I've read so much over the past few days my head hurts,

My Goal: Search all files in a given path (including sub-directories) and replace strings with new strings.

For example: Search all files in c:\temp\* and d:\temp* for "servername1" and "servername2" and replace those strings with "newservername1" and "newservername2".

I haven't convinced myself I want this all in one script as there may be files like Web.configOLD that I would not want to update. That said once I find out what file(s) contain these strings I can then make a decision how to proceed and will eventually want this all in one script.

I can successfully gather the path and file name into a file using the following:

$Date = Get-Date -Format MM_dd_yyyy
    $exclude = @("*log*", "*bak*")
    $SearchString = 'Server1', 'Server2', 'Server3'
    $FileName = "$Date ServerNamesSearchResults"
    Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\temp", "c:\temp" -Recurse -exclude $exclude | Select-String $SearchString | Select-Object -Unique Path | FT -hide | Out-File "D:\PSScripts\Results\$FileName.txt"

This results in a text file that contains something like this:

D:\temp\New Text Document.txt
    C:\temp\New Text Document (2).txt
    C:\temp\New Text Document.txt

Now the hard part.

I now want to replace the strings "servername1" and "servername2" in each of these files with "newservername1" and "newservername2"

Please help. I'm sure there is even a better way to do this but I haven't figured it out.

Profile photo of Ondrej Zilinec
    Ondrej Zilinec
    Participant

Are you trying to rename files in directories? Or you want to replace string [b]inside[/b] files?

Profile photo of BJTys
      BJTys
      Participant

Replace multiple strings inside multiple files.

Profile photo of Ondrej Zilinec
      Ondrej Zilinec
      Participant

What about this:

[b]Get-Children D:\temp *.txt -recurse | ForEach
      {
      (Get-Content $_ | ForEach {$_ -replace "old", "new"}) | Set-Content $_
      }
      [/b]

Profile photo of Kiran Reddy
    Kiran Reddy
    Participant

Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\temp", "c:\temp" -Recurse -exclude $exclude | Select-String $SearchString -List | Select-Object -Expand Path | Out-File "D:\PSScripts\Results\$FileName.txt"

you can use regex replace

[regex]::replace(
    string input,
    string pattern,
    System.Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator
    )

Input will be the a "raw" string from Get-content, pattern – the string you want to match and evaluator is a scriptblock like so { "newservername1"}
    you would want to use a loop to run through each file path listed in $filename.txt and replace using the above constructor.

Profile photo of BJTys
    BJTys
    Participant

@kiran Sorry but you lost me.

Profile photo of Kiran Reddy
    Kiran Reddy
    Participant

The method proposed by Ondrej is probably easier to understand, so if it works for you go with that. But i would like to add though that you can use "-replace" more than once like so. This should take care of multiple instances of "old" strings and it is case-insensitive.

ForEach {$_ -replace "old", "new" -replace "old1","new1"}

also note the above code will make changes to the original file so if you want to send the changes to a new file you can do:

Set-Content (join-path (C:\temp) -childpath ("new" + (split-path $_ -leaf) ))

Profile photo of Andrew Pearce
    Andrew Pearce
    Participant

Just another option, I'm using the Get-Content | Set-Content way to update multiple .xml files in one of my functions.

$InputFiles = Get-Item "pathtofiles\*.xml"
    $OldString  = 'StringToReplace'
    $NewString  = 'UpdatedString'
    $InputFiles | ForEach {
        (Get-Content -Path $_.FullName).Replace($OldString,$NewString) | Set-Content -Path $_.FullName
    }

Profile photo of H Man
    H Man
    Participant

Try This

$exclude = @("*log*", "*bak*")
    $files = Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\temp", "c:\temp" -Recurse -exclude $exclude 

foreach ($file in $files){

$find = "Server1"
    $replace = "NewServername1"
    $content = Get-Content $($file.FullName) -Raw
    #write replaced content back to the file
    $content -replace $find,$replace | Out-File $($file.FullName) 
    }

Profile photo of Ataur Rasool
    Ataur Rasool
    Participant

H Man,

Is it possible to use the script in order to change dates in a word document? For example:

100 Documents in ../bodies/ folder

$FindMonth = "January" + "February" + "March" + "April" + "May" + "June" + "July" + "August" + "September" + "October" + "November" + "December"
    $FindDay = "1" + "2" + "3" > etc
    $ReplaceWith = "{ TIME \@ MMMM D,YYYY}"

Could something like that be coded? Also, in some of these documents there are numbers the office uses to designate certain codes.

Please advise.

Thank you,
    Ray

$content = Get-Content $($file.FullName) -Raw

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.