find and replace wildcard

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John Curtiss 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

John Curtiss
    Participant

edit: how do I display the two arrow characters on the comma and period keys in this forum? it's getting edited out as 'code'

i'm trying to edit content in a scheduled task. the task xml contains this line

2018-06-29T23:59:00

i'm trying to replace the "2018-06-29T" part, but the '2018-06-29' part could be anything, so I need a wildcard.

$content = (Get-Content $task)
    $newcontent= $content -Replace "*T",$new
    $newcontent

$newcontent is still $content, so I don't think it's finding the text to replace, possibly because of the arrow characters in the text, possibly because of the wildcard. help?

Olaf Soyk
    Participant

How familiar are you with the concept of regular expressions in general and in Powershell in particular? It is used when you use comparison operators like -match and -replace.
    That would lead to a command like this:

$newcontent= $content -Replace ".*T",$new

to "fix" your code.
    On the other hand I'm pretty sure there are probably better ways to manipulate a scheduled task than using string acrobatics. 😉 You might show some more of your code. We might help you with this.

John Curtiss
    Participant

so the text I need to replace, and the text I need to use to replace it, both contain characters that I can't display in this forum because the forum thinks it's code. and I can't upload a screenshot. it's the left and right arrow characters above the comma and period on the keyboard.

John Curtiss
    Participant

the text I need to replace: "('less than' symbol)StartBoundary('greater than' symbol)2018-06-18T"

John Curtiss
    Participant

I went the XML route, and it replaces the text I want, but apparently that doesn't actually affect the scheduled task anyway. i'm trying to change the Date in "startboundary" without changing the time.

$Date = (get-date -Format o).split('T')[0]
     $xml = [xml](Get-Content $task)
     $current = $xml.task.Triggers.TimeTrigger.StartBoundary
     $currenttime = $current.split("T")[1]
     $new = $date + "T" + $currenttime
     $xml.task.triggers.timetrigger.StartBoundary = $new
     $xml.Save($task.FullName)

that code successfully modifies the XML of the task just like I want, but the trigger remains unchanged in the task scheduler GUI.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.