Find the number of install of an application on a network

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kevin Homan Kevin Homan 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Kevin Homan
    Kevin Homan
    Participant

I need to know how many installs of MS Project are on the network (small network 70 computers)
    Can I get the number and computer names?

Profile photo of Aapeli Hietikko
    Aapeli Hietikko
    Participant

I need to assume for few things here as you are not revealing too much about your environment.

So either populate your computers against AD or if that's not available then manually create a list. Then do wmi query and find Visio.

This assumes that you have all computers online at the time you run your script and that you don't need anything else than count.

$computers = get-adcomputer -fi {Name -like "prefix*"} | select -expandProperty Name
    #or
    $computers = @('prefix001','prefix002','prefix003')

$i = 0
    foreach ($computer in $computers) {

if (Get-WmiObject -Class win32_product -ComputerName $computer | where {$_.name -eq "Microsoft Office Visio 2010"}) {$i++}

} #End Foreach

$i

Kevin Homan
    Participant

I did not give enough information:
    It is on a domain. server 2012
    I would point to a list c:\temp\computers.txt which are all the machines I want to query.
    I want to know how many have ms project and what the computer name is.
    If possible the user name too.

I have the AD module loaded locally and I have admin rights.
    I have set the execution policy to unrestricted.
    But every time I try and run anything I get:
    Get-WmiObject : The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

Hopefully you can hlep

Profile photo of Nagendra Narembally
    Nagendra Narembally
    Participant

Please check whether firewall rules are blocking the WMI traffic on those servers

Get-NetFirewallRule | where name -like "*wmi*" | fl description,action,enabled,profile

Enable the rules to allow the WMI traffic on those computers.

Profile photo of Bob McCoy
    Bob McCoy
    Participant
    • Do you have any software deployment tools in-place already, e.g., PDQDeploy, SCCM, LanDesk, etc.?
    • Is PSRemoting enabled on all the systems you want to query?
    • What version of PoswerShell are you running, both on the querying computer and the targets?
    • Is remote registry enabled on the target systems?

There are all sorts of ways you can do this.

Based on the error meesage, I would tend to agree with Nagendra that it looks like a firewall issue. If that is the case you can set a domain-wide firewall rule to enable WMI traffic. And if you get pushback on the security, you can limit the source to the machine that you expect to originate the query.

Kevin Homan
    Participant

I am still having problems with this. I suspect Nagendra is correct.
    I have tried running the suggestion using PS version 3 the target computers use version 2
    the get-firewallrule cmdlet will not work. I have many issue trying to work on the network.
    The security seems to be stopping me at every turn.
    I am running in unrestricted mode with admin privileges.
    I tried : Import-Module get-netfirewallrule
    The reply is:
    Import-Module : The specified module 'get-netfirewallrule' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Import-Module get-netfirewallrule
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (get-netfirewallrule:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

We also have SCCM but it fails to return information, for example it fails to return serial numbers for all computers when a report is run.
    I am at a loss as to what is restricting reporting tools?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.