Finding files with a string

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

by rambog at 2012-11-28 12:22:29

I am trying to search through directories and locate files which match a particular string and list out the file name and what is contained on the line that matches the string. In this case, the string I am looking for begins with '. It ends with '' and I am only interested in what is contained between these two tags.

Here is my command,
    get-childitem 'D:\Clients\ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1'|foreach-object{select-string -Path $_.FullName -Pattern ''}

The erroneous output looks like,
    Select-String : The file D:\Clients\ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1\{F927988
    6-0E48-4A53-A49D-F7BCCCEE1F89} can not be read: Access to the path 'D:\Clients\
    ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1\{F9279886-0E48-4A53-A49D-F7BCCCEE1F89}' is d
    enied.
    At line:1 char:91
    + get-childitem 'D:\Clients\ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1'|foreach-object{
    select-string < <<< -Path $_.FullName -Pattern ''}
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Select-String], ArgumentEx
    ception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProcessingFile,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Sel
    ectStringCommand

I have full access to that directory. The directory, BackupVersion1, has many sub-directories that have GUID names. Within each of these GUID directories, there is an XML file which contains the string I am looking for. What I would like to have is a hash table that has the GUID and the string between and within the XLM file. Any ideas on best approach and any idea why my script above is dying?

by DonJ at 2012-11-28 12:32:28

As a note, your syntax may be a little inefficient. You don't need to get the files and then pipe them to ForEach; Select-String already knows how to read through a directory full of files. Just use...

Select-String -Path D:\Clients\ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1\*

You do have to specify a file path, not just the folder, but you can use wildcards. But that won't help you.

Now on to the actual question :). Select-String will barf an access denied if you give it a folder to read, as opposed to a file. That's the issue, here. Going with your original syntax, I imagine you would want to add -recurse -file to Get-ChildItem. That'll make it work through all the files, recursing subfolders, but only returning files and not folders. Select-String should have no problem with that. Note that -File is only supported with v3; if you're using v2 you have to do something like...

Dir D:\Clients\ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1 | Where { -not $_.PsIsContainer } | ForEach { blah blah blah }

Anyway, the deal is that you don't want to be feeding folders to Select-String. Only files.

by DonJ at 2012-11-28 12:40:33

(I have to tell you, you may not enjoy doing what you're after with Select-String. Doing this kind of searching, given the output you want, is awkward in a one-liner. I'd probably write a script).

$files = Dir -path D:\Clients\ClientA\GPO Backup\BackupVersion1 -include *.xml -recurse | Where { -not $_.PSIsContainer }
    $out = @{}
    foreach ($file in $files) {
    [xml]$xml = Get-Content $file.fullname
    $results = $xml | select-xml -xpath "//Name" | foreach { $_.node.innerxml }
    foreach ($result in $results) {
    $out.add($file.fullname,$result)
    }
    }
    $out

Something like that should get you the values of all the Name nodes in every XML file. Note that XML is case-sensitive, so if it's put "//name" for the XPath.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.