finding matching values in two columns

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

John Curtiss
    Participant

maybe not the best title, and this is probably a logic question more than a powershell question. but here we are. hopefully i'm missing something simple. I have a two column array. column 1 "SERVER" is full of server names, and column 2 "MEMBER" is each group in the Administrators group on that server. So column 1 has duplicates depending on how many groups are in its Administrators group.

SERVER MEMBER
    server1 domain admins
    server1 some-group
    server1 server1-localadmins
    server2 domain admins
    server2 some-other-group
    server2 server2-localadmins
    server3 domain admins
    server4 server4-localadmins

I want to make sure that every server in column 1 has the "[servername]-localadmins" group in column 2. so in the samp;le above, I want to go through that list and return server3 because there is no "server3-localadmins" in column 2.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'd probably run the whole collection through Select-Object -unique to generate and store a list of unique server names.

I'd then enumerate those. For each server name, I'd select – from the original collection and using Where-Object – all objects having the current server name. I'd then further Where-Object that to get just the objects with localadmins, and send that to Measure-Object.

If the resulting Measure object had a count of zero, I'd output the current server name.

Vaguely, because I haven't had coffee yet...

$coll = do whatever you do to populate the collection

$names = $coll | select-object -prop server -unique | select -expand server

ForEach ($name in $names) {
      $count = $coll | Where server -eq $name | Where member -eq localadmins | measure
      If ($count.count -eq 0) {
       Write $name
      }
    }

John Curtiss
    Participant

awesome. thank you. I thought about filtering down a unique list of server names, but didn't know how.

can I also ask about the "select -expand server"? i assume that is why you don't have to put $name.server in the where clause. "expand" just removes the column heading from the array, more or less?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well, more accurately, it “expands” (or “extracts”) the contents of the property into a standalone string. But yeah, it's so I don't have to refer to a property of an object.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.