foreach confusion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barry Thomson Barry Thomson 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Barry Thomson
    Barry Thomson
    Participant

Hi,

Anyone able to help a nooby? I thought I had a handle on the foreach loop, but when I came to put it into practice, it proved I didn't...

This is what I've got so far...any idea what I'm missing? Do I need to specify a comuter paramater after Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter?

Thank again

$machines = Read-Host "Location and file name of your input"
    $filename = Read-Host "Enter a file name for the output"

foreach ($machine in $machines) {

Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter -ErrorAction Ignore |

where {$_.physicaladapter -eq $true} |

Select-Object macaddress, netconnectionid, PSComputerName |

Export-Csv -Path $env:USERPROFILE\$filename -NoTypeInformation

}

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well...

$machines is getting a single string. You're asking for a "location and file name of your input." The foreach loop will only have that one string to enumerate through, and it won't be a computer name. Was your intent to read computer names from a file?

$inputfile = Read-Host "Enter input filename, must be one computer name per line"
    $computers = Get-Content $inputfile
    foreach ($computer in $computers) {
    }

Second, yes, you do actually have to use the computer name with Get-WmiObject. The command defaults to querying the local computer.

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Whatever -ComputerName $computer
    }

That's how you'd USE the $computer variable from the foreach loop.

Additionally, you're not going to like the output when you send each computer through Export-CSV like that. You're going to end up overwriting the file, so it'll only contain the last computer processed. A typical approach would be to handle the processing and the output as separate steps.

function Get-Stuff {
      $inputfile = Read-Host "Enter input filename, must be one computer name per line"
      }
    }
    Get-Stuff | Export-CSV outputfile.csv

Or even better, make the input a mandatory parameter so the shell will prompt for it:

function Get-Stuff {
      Param([Parameter(Mandatory=$True)][string]$inputfile)
      }
    }
    Get-Stuff | Export-CSV outputfile.csv

Also, "Ignore" is not a valid ErrorAction. You probably mean "SilentlyContinue." Run "help about_common_param*" in the shell for more details. [EDIT: Was reminded Ignore is valid in v3; I've still got my head in v2 this morning]

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Ignore is valid in PowerShell v3, actually. It behaves like SilentlyContinue, except it also doesn't add anything to the $error collection.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

And to perhaps offer a more academic look at the ForEach loop itself: You need to start with a variable that contains one or more objects, such as strings.

$machines = @('SERVER1','SERVER2','SERVER3')

For example. Read-Host can actually only prompt for a single string, so it can't generate a collection of objects like that. Get-Content produces a collection, with each line in the file being a single object.

ForEach ($machine in $machines) {
    }

Takes everything in $machines (remember, it contains 1+ objects) and executes the loop one time "for each" of those objects. Each time through the loop, one object gets plucked out of $machines and stuffed into $machine. That way, inside the loop, you USE $machines to refer to just one thing at a time.

Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS
    }

That'd query your local computer one time "for each" object in $machines. Why your local computer? Because that's what you told it to do. Being inside a ForEach loop doesn't magically make commands act differently. THEY don't know that $machines contains computer names. And not all commands can talk to remote computers.

Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -Comp $machine
    }

Assuming $machines contains computer names and not, say, AD users, that example would query WMI on each of the machines.

Profile photo of Barry Thomson
    Barry Thomson
    Participant

Don, thanks for very much. Enjoying your book too! 🙂

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.