format to datetime

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Olaf Soyk 9 months ago.

• Author

jacobo
    Participant

Hello,

I have a external command generating an output.
    "Sep 12 23:59:59 2016 GMT"

I have been trying to parse it as a datetime format but I am stuck.
    Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
    Jacobo.

Ron
    Participant

Here is an ugly solution, maybe someone else has something better.

$m=[regex]::Matches("Sep 12 23:59:59 2016 GMT","(\w+ \d+) (\d+:\d+:\d+) (\d+) (\w+)")
    get-date ($m[0].groups[1].value +  ' ' + $m[0].groups[3].value + ' ' + $m[0].groups[2].value + ' ' + $m[0].groups[4].value)

This will come back converted to local time. If you don't want that, leave off the time zone.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Huh. I'd have thought just [datetime]"Sep 12 23:59:59 2016 GMT" woulda done it. I'll have to look and see if one of the System.DateTime constructors offers something more elegant.

Richard Siddaway

The year is in the wrong place. You need

[datetime]"Sep 12 2016 23:59:59 GMT"

Also can only specify the time to be local or UTC/GMT

Olaf Soyk
    Participant

The shortes I found:

'Sep 12 23:59:59 2016 GMT' -match '(\w+\s\d+\s+)((\d+:){2}\d+\s)(\d{4}\s\w{3})'
     Get-Date $($Matches[2] + $Matches[1] + $Matches[4])

jacobo
    Participant

thanks everyone for your replies, and Olaf for the regex which works perfectly.

cheers,
    Jacobo

Peter Jurgens
    Participant

The ParseExact method of the system.datetime class is useful when working with an oddly formatted date time string:

[datetime]::ParseExact("Sep 12 23:59:59 2016 GMT","MMM dd HH:mm:ss yyyy GMT",[system.globalization.cultureinfo]::InvariantCulture)

I'm on mobile doing this from memory but I think I got everything right! If not let me know and I'll confirm when in front of a PC.

Olaf Soyk
      Participant

I'm on mobile doing this from memory but I think I got everything right!

You're right. Both thumbs up. 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.