Formatting output of lastlogondate

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Howard 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Edwards Michael J
    Participant

Hi –

I'm running an inventory of computer objects in several child OU's. I want to break the computers in each OU down by OS type and record the last time any computer of that OS type logged in within each OU. I'm using the "lastlogondate" attribute of the compauter, and I get a result. The problem is I'm getting the data back in the format of "@{lastlogondate=3/27/2017}". How do I remove the "@{lastlogondate=}" part and leave just the date. Here's the relevant code:

$ous = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter {name -like "*"} -SearchBase "dc=contoso,dc=com" -SearchScope OneLevel
    Foreach($ou in $ous){
    $llts2008 = Get-ADComputer -filter {OperatingSystem -Like '*2008*'} -SearchBase $dn -SearchScope Subtree -Properties lastlogondate | select-object -property lastlogondate | sort lastlogondate -descending | select-object -first 1
    $llts2012 = Get-ADComputer -filter {OperatingSystem -Like '*2012*'} -SearchBase $dn -SearchScope Subtree -Properties lastlogondate | select-object -property lastlogondate | sort lastlogondate -descending | select-object -first 1
    $results = [pscustomobject][ordered]@{"OU" = $ouname";"Last Win2008 Computer Logon" = $llts2008;"Last Win2012 Computer Logon" = $llts2012 | Export-Csv -Path C:\DelegatedOUStats.csv -Append -NoTypeInformation

I actually thought of strongly typing the $llts* variable as a string and then using trimstart() and trimend(), but that shouldn't be necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Howard
    Participant

Change your first Select-Object to use -ExpandProperty instead of -Property and drop the property from your sort, just use Sort-Object -Descending.

Edwards Michael J
    Participant

Thanks, Matt – I tried your suggestion, but it still resulted in the output not being formatted properly. Here's the code I used:

$llts2012 = Get-ADComputer -filter { OperatingSystem -Like '*2012*' } -SearchBase $dn -SearchScope Subtree -Properties lastlogondate | Select-Object -ExpandProperty lastlogondate | Sort-Object -Descending | Select-Object -First 1

The output looked like this: "@{lastlogondate=10/15/2017 13:52:09}"

Rick
    Participant

This works for me:

get-adcomputer -filter { OperatingSystem -Like '*2012*' } -Properties lastlogondate | Select-Object name, lastlogondate | Sort-Object -Descending | Select-Object -First 1

Matt Howard
    Participant

What version of PS are you using? I do not believe that would have an impact, but just curious.

Also, how are you setting $dn?

Matt Howard
    Participant

What does your output look like if you return $llts2012 or without assigning it to a variable?

Edwards Michael J
      Participant

I'm not sure what to tell you, Matt. I tried it the first time and the results were as I explained. I waited a while and tried it again and it works beautifully. Not sure what changed or why but obviously something did.

Anyway, thanks for the assist.

Matt Howard
      Participant

Glad to hear it worked. I was starting to scratch my head and call shenanigans.

Cheers!

Greg Tate
    Participant

I'm using version 5.1 and I can't reproduce the formatting error so maybe there is a version issue.
    That said I came up with an possible alternate way to get you to the same end result.

In the example below, I've derived the OU from the Distinguished name using Select-Object and RegEx. For quicker debugging I've piped it out to gridview since I find it does a good job of giving excel like results. You can change this to Export-CSV if you want.

If you have a large AD environment (more than 5000 computer objects), you may want to tweak the Get-ADComputer filter from * to something with less results.

$Computers = Get-ADComputer -filter * -Properties OperatingSystem,LastLogOnDate
    [regex]$sub =  "(?< =,).*"
    $Computers | Select-Object Name,OPeratingSystem,lastlogondate,@{Name="OU";Expression = {$sub.Match($_.DistinguishedName)}} | Out-GridView

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.