Gathering user environment information

Welcome Forums Web Site Feedback & Assistance Gathering user environment information

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 68
      Helping Hand

I'd like to request an addition be made to the posting guidelines given in Read Me Before Posting! You'll be Glad You Did!, to the effect of:
      "When requesting assistance with PowerShell, please include Operating System and PowerShell Version information in your post. PowerShell Version information can be obtained by echoing the contents of $PSVersionTable"

PowerShell is cross-platform, which means we can't just assume that users are working on Windows 10. PowerShell usage may not be wide-spread on *NIX platforms but it is not non-existent, and PowerShell Core doesn't necessarily behave the same on non-Windows systems.
      Also, many users are professionals working in commercial/industrial computing environments that may not be using the most up-to-date software versions. For instance, my own work environment has (for various operational reasons) several systems that are still running r1803 with PS 5.1. There are some significant changes across versions of PS that have to be accounted for when proposing solutions.

If this information is gathered at the beginning of a thread it will make helping people easier.

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 1136
      Helping Hand

@grokkit – Thanks for your suggestion. Team is trying this out. Thanks !

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 8
      Helping Hand

I LIKE THIS POST

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.