Get a list of directory names

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

by Chris78 at 2012-10-04 01:46:58

Hi,

I'm sure there is a simple solution for this. I have a directory structure that is very deep, and I need a list of all folder names on the first and second levels, but no further.

I know I can use the following script to go through everything (folders only):

gci "C:\MyFolder" -recurse | ?{$_.psiscontainer}

However, this produces a huge, unmanageable list, and also contains information that I don't need, such as LastWriteTime and Length.

Ideally, I would want the script to look at all folders in "C:\MyFolder" and all folders in "C:\MyFolder\MyNextFolder", "C:\MyFolder\MyNextFolder2", "C:\MyFolder\MyNextFolder3" etc. etc., and return only the names of the folders with no other information.

I tried the following to just get names:

gci "C:\MyFolder" -name -recurse | ?{$_.psiscontainer}

But it just sits there for ages – most likely because of the amount of folders in there.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Chris

by MattG at 2012-10-04 03:30:43

Just call Get-ChildItem on the folders returned but don't call '-recurse'

Get-ChildItem 'C:\MyFolder'| Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer} | Get-ChildItem | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer}

by poshoholic at 2012-10-04 07:21:33

I think what you're actually looking for is this:
    Get-ChildItem C:\MyFolder -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty FullName
    Or if you're using PowerShell 3, you can do it this way instead:
    Get-ChildItem C:\MyFolder -Recurse -Directory | ForEach-Object FullName
    Here's another PowerShell 3 way of doing it:
    (Get-ChildItem C:\MyFolder -Recurse -Directory).FullName

by Klaas at 2012-10-05 00:47:51

Or
    get-childitem -recurse -directory -name

It's the part of the question to limit the overview to 2 levels that makes it a bit more difficult. I suppose the way to do it is to nest two Get-Childitem cmlets without the -recurse switch like Matt suggested. But then the trick is to get the output format right. When using the pipeline maybe Tee-object might be useful. If not you will probably have to use a Foreach-Object to write both the current folder and the child directories.
    I tried to use get-childitem -recurse -directory -name and filter out anything that contains more than 2 backslashes: -Exclude *`\*´\*`\* but it doesn't work. Maybe a more complex matching would do it.

by mjolinor at 2012-10-09 07:35:14

Or this:
    (cmd /c dir c:\MyFolder\ /b /s /a:d) -match '^.+?\\.+?\\?.+\\?' | sort

by JeffH at 2012-10-09 07:53:36

This is a v3 command that works.

dir -Directory | foreach { $_ ; dir $_ -Directory} | select -expand fullname

by JeffH at 2012-10-09 07:55:33

The v2 syntax is a little more complicated.

PS C:\work> dir | where {$_.PSIscontainer} | foreach {$_ ; dir $_ | where {$_.psiscontainer}} | select -expand fullname

C:\work\test
    C:\work\Test Rig 2
    C:\work\test2
    C:\work\test3
    C:\work\test3\a
    C:\work\test4
    C:\work\test4\a
    C:\work\Ubuntu12

My 'b' and 'c' folders don't get displayed.

by netzambo at 2012-10-09 14:52:57

The following works:

Get-ChildItem "C:\MyFolder" -Recurse -Directory | Where-Object {$_.FullName.split("\").count -le 4} | ForEach-Object FullName

Use how many backslash chars are found in the FullName string based on the result of split.
    You said you want maximum of 3 folder ramification "C:\FirstLevel", "C:\FirstLevel\SecondLevel", "c:\Firstlevel\SecondLevel\ThirdLevel"; so you need 3 backslashes and the result of split must be 4 (as in the example above).

by JeffH at 2012-10-10 06:40:22

The downside to this is that you end up parsing text. Think about objects in the pipeline which is what my examples are doing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.