Get-ADComputer weird output

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt McNabb Matt McNabb 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ondrej Zilinec
    Ondrej Zilinec
    Participant

I just played with cmd-let Get-ADComputer. I found out that if I run:

$Computer = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "DC=domain,DC=local" -Fileter "*"

$Computer is [b]System.Array[/b]. It contains 29 records.

But if I define filter to filter out only one object:

$Computer = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "DC=domain,DC=local" -Fileter 'Name -like "*OneComputerName*"'

$Computer is [b]Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADAccount[/b].

This is really confusing. I know how to fix it, just define type of the object:

[array]$Computer = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "DC=domain,DC=local" -Fileter 'Name -like "*OneComputerName*"'

But this not behaviour I would expect 🙂 Is this "fixed" in some version of PowerShell? I'm testing this in 4.0.

Thank you,

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

This is default behaviour.

The array is just a container for items of the Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADAccount type

$Computer = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "DC=domain,DC=local" -Fileter 'Name -like "*OneComputerName*"'
    $Computer.GetType()

$Computer = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "DC=domain,DC=local" -Fileter "*"
    $Computer[1].GetType()

Return the same results.

You can still use the result in operations such as ForEach, so you shouldnt need to adjust your code.

Profile photo of Øyvind Kallstad
    Øyvind Kallstad
    Participant

As Tim points out, this is not a bug, but the expected behaviour when working with a loosely typed language. It will "guess" the type based on the data it get assigned. You can always strongly type your variables, like you have discovered yourself 🙂

Ondrej Zilinec
    Participant

can still use the result in

That's corret, but when you want to list total items and you want to use .Count property of array it doesn't work on other than array object. I think I will stay with defining type of variables.

Profile photo of Matt McNabb
    Matt McNabb
    Participant

Don't forget you can use Measure-Object to count objects in the pipeline as well. This way it doesn't matter if it is an array or not, you'll always get the right count:

Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "DC=domain,DC=local" -Fileter 'Name -like "*OneComputerName*"' | Measure-Object

Ondrej Zilinec
      Participant

Maybe this is not a case, but isn't Measure-Object more CPU intensive than variable definition?

Profile photo of Matt McNabb
    Matt McNabb
    Participant

It might be but whether that matters really depends on the scenario. Is this something that will be done many times in a script, or just once?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.