Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership: Error 1244 - User not auhtenticated

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership: Error 1244 - User not auhtenticated

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 0

Hey everybody,

I don't seem to be able to execute the command "Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership".
      I tried with the -Server and -Credential parameter, but I keep on getting "The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated."

Another command like "Get-ADUser" works fine.

I notice I'm not the first person with this error, though it is unclear to me to what the solution might be.

Kind regards,

Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership : The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated.
      At line:2 char:1
      + Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -Identity davidtest
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (davidtest:ADPrincipal) [Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership], ADException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryServer:1244,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADPrincipalGroupMembership

Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 117
      Helping Hand

As an alternative, have you tried the slightly longer route of:

$userName = 'davidtest'

$groups = ([ADSISEARCHER]"samAccountName=$userName").FindOne().Properties.memberof -replace '^CN=([^,]+).+$','$1'

# Then do something with groups
      Write-Output $groups

Edit: Sorry for multiple edits – formatting issues.

Naw
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 45

Hi RedDevil56
      I came across the same issue once. When one of the domain controllers (also Global Catalogue server) failed to replicate, using that command no longer worked. It may or may not apply to your problem but it's nice to check if there is any AD replication issue in your environment.
      Good Luck

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.