Cmdlet parameter options reduced in PowerShell 4.0!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sponsen sponsen 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of sponsen
    sponsen
    Participant

This made me a little annoyed; apparently MS reduces cmdlet options in 4.0...

After upgrading to Win 8.1 (including PS 4.0) i'm no longer able to: Get-ADUser username -Property *

-Property no longer accepts wildcard according to the online help, witch is updated 17. oct, and the help now applies to PS 4.0..

I don't like that MS are reducing features... whats next..? If this is the trend, then scripts will become unstable and unusable... Anyone know why they are doing this?

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

This is confusing because Get-AdUser isn't part of PowerShell 4 – its part of the Active Directory toolset.

The online help for get-AdUser states "Specify properties for this parameter as a comma-separated list of names. To display all of the attributes that are set on the object, specify * (asterisk). "
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852208.aspx

The text for the -property parameter shows some examples using -Property *

and that's dated 17 October

Where is the version of the help that states wildcards aren't supported

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

There's a bug that's currently causing that command to fail on PowerShell 4; I've seen a few references to it on the TechNet forums and the Connect site. Not sure if / when it's going to be fixed, but for now, you'll need to work around it by not using the wildcard if you've upgraded to PowerShell 4.

Profile photo of sponsen
    sponsen
    Participant

[quote=11193]This is confusing because Get-AdUser isn’t part of PowerShell 4 – its part of the Active Directory toolset.
    The online help for get-AdUser states “Specify properties for this parameter as a comma-separated list of names. To display all of the attributes that are set on the object, specify * (asterisk). ”
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852208.aspx
    The text for the -property parameter shows some examples using -Property *
    and that’s dated 17 October
    Where is the version of the help that states wildcards aren’t supported
    [/quote]

I know its part of the AD tool set, but as Dave pointed out, this is only affecting PS4.

In the help-page you linked to, look in the table under the "-Properties" section, it is stated there: Accept Wildcard Characters? false
    I would just guess that they forgot to change the text example that you are referring to.

Or have i totally misunderstood the meaning of the table?

Richard Siddaway

The online help was only partially updated because the text for -Properties still says you can use wildcards.

A workaround is to use Get-AdObject either directly

get-adobject -identity "cn=richard,cn=users,dc=manticore,dc=org" -properties *

of piped from get-aduser

get-aduser -identity richard | get-adobject -properties *

Richard Siddaway

I posted about this on my blog and had a comment back that it is because PowerShell 4 is aware of the schema changes in Windows 2012 R2 and fails if those properties aren't available. A schema upgrade is supposed to fix the problem. I'll try and test that over the weekend

Richard Siddaway

Just tested it and performing a schema upgrade fixes the problem running Get-AdUser with -property * (or -properties *) on a Windows 2012 R2 machine with PowerShell 4. Don't have a Windows 8.1 VM handy but I'd be very surprised if that combination didn't work after a schema upgrade

Profile photo of sponsen
    sponsen
    Participant

Thanks a lot for solving this issue!

But as a side note, isn't it strange that they marked Accept Wildcard Characters? false ?

Richard Siddaway

The accept wildcards false is a documentation bug – the text for the parameter plainly states wildcards are accepted. The error was also present in earlier versions of the documentation

Profile photo of sponsen
    sponsen
    Participant

Ah. As long as it works, that's the important part 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.