Get ADUser question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Weber Don Weber 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Don Weber
    Don Weber
    Participant

Hello,

If I have a list of email addresses (which are mail attributes for our AD users). Is there a way to use Get ADUser to get these accounts with these values as the mail attribute? What I am wanting to do is to get a list of SAM account names that correlate to the email addresses.

Thank you,
    Don

Profile photo of Craig Duff
    Craig Duff
    Participant

You can use Get-ADUser's Filter parameter to do queries like that against just about any attribute.

Get-ADUser -Filter 'mail -eq $email'

Now there are several syntaxes for filter. My example requires the use of single quotes (or braces) and a simple variable to hold the email address. It can have different syntaxes. If you used double quotes, then you'd have to quote around $email too.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff.
    Profile photo of TomBaker
    TomBaker
    Participant

$emails = @('addr1','addr2')

$ldapfilter = '(|{0})' -f (($emails|foreach-object {"(mail=$_)"}) -join " )
    Get-aduser -ldapfilter $ldapfilter -properties mail

If you are like me and prefer to use ldapfilter the above constructs an "or" filter in ldapfilter syntax so you only call Get-aduser once rather than once per address.

If you need to know which addresses did not match then compare the results mail property with your original list.

Profile photo of Mark Prior
    Mark Prior
    Participant

same as above really just arranged differently

"test.csv" just contains email address's
    example1@contoso.com
    example2@contoso.com

##Get Data##

$mails = get-content "c:\test.csv"
    $results = foreach ($mail in $mails)

{   
    ##Find what we want##
    get-aduser -Properties mail -LdapFilter "(mail=$mail)" | Select-Object samaccountname, mail
    }

##Do something with result##

$results | Out-GridView

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Mark Prior Mark Prior.
    Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

ANR would be more accurate and save you time.

get-aduser -filter {anr -eq $email}

Profile photo of Don Weber
    Don Weber
    Participant

Thank you so much for all your great ideas! I knew it could be done. I'm just not up to speed yet. I'm still at the Hello World level. 🙂

Don

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.