Get-Child Item

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bob McCoy Bob McCoy 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mark Hammonds
    Mark Hammonds
    Participant

I have ISE open as admin but still cannot get child items from User profile application Data What am I doing wrong

Get-ChildItem : Access to the path 'C:\users\108736\AppData\Local\Application Data' is denied.

Profile photo of Bob McCoy
    Bob McCoy
    Participant

Your scenario is a little unclear.
    When you say "I have the ISE open as admin" it can mean one of two things.
    1) I am logged in with an account that is in an administrators group (local or domain).
    2) I launched the ISE form the admin context (Run as Administrator, or from a console window that is already in the Admin context.

Simply doing #1 will get you access denied since UAC will run it in the lower privilege state. The way you can tell definitively is to run ...

whoami /priv

In the lower state you will only have five privileges. In the higher state you will have upwards of 20 (actual count varies by OS).

Profile photo of Mark Hammonds
    Mark Hammonds
    Participant

bingo you hit it I am doing run as administrator I will switch to an admin box Gah powershell can be a pain sometimes

Profile photo of Bob McCoy
    Bob McCoy
    Participant

Be careful now. This is NOT a PowerShell issue. It's the way UAC runs in Windows.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.