Get-ChildItem returns a value I'm not interested in

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stian Myhre Stian Myhre 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Stian Myhre
    Stian Myhre
    Participant

Hi all!

I'm quite stuck here, trying to get Powershell to return value "Name" from registry. So far, so good.

gci $registrypath | ? {$_.Name -like "*Google*"}

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

SKC  VC Name                           Property                                                                                        
    ---  -- ----                           --------                                                                                        
     10   0 emailaddress@mydomain.com - Goo... {}                                                                                              

On the other hand, if I'm trying to get the "Name" property from registry, I'm getting the full path to the registry value, and that's not what I want!

(gci $registrypath | ? {$_.Name -like "*Google*"}).Name

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\emailaddress@mydomain.com - Google Apps

All I want is this value: emailaddress@mydomain.com – Google Apps

What in the #### am I doing wrong here?

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Hey Stian,

Try this :

(gci $registrypath | ? {$_.Name -like "*Google*"}).PSChildName

Profile photo of Stian Myhre
    Stian Myhre
    Participant

Great, thanks! Thanks to you, I got introduced to the gm cmdlet 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.