Get-ChildItem works in console but not in PowerGUI Editor debugger

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Stiff David Stiff 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of David Stiff
    David Stiff
    Participant

Hello,

I am trying to create a one-liner to recursively copy and flatten a folder structure. This works in the PowerShell console but in the PowerGUI Editor debugger, no files are copied.

Get-ChildItem c:\SourceFolder\* -Include *.dll,*.pdb,*.tlb,*.exe -Recurse | Copy-Item -Destination C:\TargetFolder -Force

Am I doing something wrong? Or do debuggers act differently that the console?

Thanks,
    Dave

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Well.. there are some things that behave differently in a debugger; mainly certain automatic variables such as $PSCmdlet, $MyInvocation, and so on. You're not using any of those, and I'm not sure why this wouldn't be working. Have you tried running just the Get-ChildItem part to make sure the proper results are coming out of there? Do you get any error messages?

David Stiff
    Participant

Hi Dave,

it appears to be related to using variables for Get-ChildItem. My code is:

$source = 'C:\Builds\bin'
    $extensions = '*.dll,*.pdb,*.tlb,*.exe'
    Get-ChildItem $source\* -Include $extensions -Recurse

Using this, even in the console, produces no output. Is either $source or $extensions being interpreted incorrectly (or not as I expect)?

Thanks,
    Dave

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Your $extensions variable should be an array of strings; what you currently have is a single string with a bunch of comma-separated values. Try this:

$extensions = '*.dll', '*.pdb', '*.tlb', '*.exe'

David Stiff
    Participant

That was it. Thanks!

I'll pay closer attention to the cmdlet help parameter types from now on.

-dave

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.