Get-content of files in different folders and compare if any difference

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Vinh Luu
    Vinh Luu
    Participant

Hi,

Have been stuck on this for awhile. I have a script that outputs ipconfig/routes/linkspeed, etc... to a text file in one location. After network changes, we would like to run the script again to get same information and save that text file to another location. Text files are named the same in both location, servername.log.

I would like to get the contents of each text file, and compare the text files with the same filename from the two folder against each other. Any difference in the files would be outputted to another text file. Any help appreciated as i been stuck on this.

script to get info below:

$servernames = get-content "...\serverlist.txt"
    ForEach ($servers in $servernames)
    {
    Write-Host "checking $servers"
    $logRoot = "...\PreChecks"
    $logFilename = $servers + ".log"
    $logFile = Join-Path $logRoot $logFilename
    $logdate = get-date
    Out-file $logFile
    Write-Output "Date: $logdate" | Out-file $logFile -Append
    Write-Output "Server: $servers" | Out-file $logFile -Append
    $session = New-PSSession -ComputerName $servers
    Write-Output "" | Out-file $logfile -Append
    Write-Output "Route Print" | Out-file $logfile -Append
    #route.exe print | out-file $logfile -Append
    Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock {route.exe print} | out-file $logfile -Append
    Write-Output "TraceRoute" | Out-file $logfile -Append
    Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock {tracert.exe eq4innas01b} | out-file $logfile -Append
    Write-Output "IPConfig" | Out-file $logfile -Append
    Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock {ipconfig.exe /all} | out-file $logfile -Append
    Write-Output "NIC LinkSpeed" | Out-file $logfile -Append
    Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock {Get-WmiObject -namespace root\wmi -Class msndis_linkspeed | select-object instancename, ndislinkspeed} | fl | out-file $logfile -Append
    Get-PSSession | Remove-PSSession
    }

Thx

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

File diff algorithms can be a bit complex to write on your own, and Compare-Object isn't very well suited for this since it changes the order of your lines when it does its comparison. Personally, I'd just use fc.exe , which is a command-line file comparison tool that's included with Windows. For example:

fc.exe /U file1.txt file2.txt > differences.txt

The /U switch tells fc.exe to treat file1.txt and file2.txt as Unicode, which is what PowerShell will typically produce when you use things like Out-File.

Profile photo of Vinh Luu
    Vinh Luu
    Participant

@dave , thx for the reply. Would you know how i can loop and recursively get the files from the two folders and fc.exe the files with the same name against each other

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Assuming you have a file named 'test.txt' in folders A\, A\SubFolder1 , B\, and B\SubFolder2 , which combinations of files would you want to compare? What would you name the output "diff" file for each combination?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.