Get event logs for specific date

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nick Chard Nick Chard 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Nick Chard
    Nick Chard
    Participant

Hi,

I'm trying to list all event logs for a specific date

I've tried this, but it doesn't return any results

Get-EventLog -LogName System | where { $_.timegenerated -like "10/01*" }

I can get events before or after a date by using this:

Get-EventLog -LogName System | where { $_.timegenerated -gt [get-date].AddDays[-7] }
    Get-EventLog -LogName System | where { $_.timegenerated -lt [get-date].AddDays[-7] }

I guess it's something to do with TimeGenerated being a System.DateTime object type, so maybe it should look a bit like this:

$date = New-Object -TypeName System.DateTime
    Get-EventLog -LogName System | where { $_.timegenerated -eq $date }

I can't work out how to assign the current date to $date, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Profile photo of Will Anderson
    Will Anderson
    Keymaster

Hey there Nick,

Try this:

Get-EventLog System | Where-Object TimeWritten -Like "12/12*"

If you do a Get-EventLog System | Get-Member, it'll give you the properties of the objects you're retrieving. I also used Select-Object -First 1 to limit my selection to the first log entry so I didn't have to swim through everything:

Get-EventLog System | Select-Object -First 1 | Get-Member

You'll see that what you want to filter on is the TimeWritten property. Let me know if that helps!

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

Might be easier to use the -Before and -After parameters

Get-EventLog -LogName System -After (Get-Date -Date '1/1/2015')
    Get-EventLog -LogName System -After (Get-Date -Date '1/1/2015') -Before (Get-Date -Date '10/1/2015')

Profile photo of Will Anderson
    Will Anderson
    Keymaster

Or that. 🙂

Profile photo of Nick Chard
    Nick Chard
    Participant

Hi, and thanks for your input. I found the problem, it's to do with date format.

We use dd/mm/yy in the UK, and PowerShell displays dates in this format, so does Event Viewer. For some reason I have to use mm/dd/yy when I narrow down my results with where-object. I realised this when I searched using 12/12, as suggested by @Will Anderson, and it worked.

PS D:\> Get-EventLog -LogName System -newest 1 | where { $_.TimeWritten -like "*2015*" } | select TimeWritten

TimeWritten
    ———–
    13/01/2015 09:08:20

PS D:\> Get-EventLog -LogName System -newest 1 | where { $_.TimeWritten -like "13/01/2015*" } | select TimeWritten
    No Results

PS D:\> Get-EventLog -LogName System -newest 1 | where { $_.TimeWritten -like "01/13/2015*" } | select TimeWritten

TimeWritten
    ———–
    13/01/2015 09:08:20

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.