Get-Eventlog hangs when using EntryType

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Audun 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Audun
    Participant

Hi!
    I'm working on a script that I'm going to run as a daily scheduled task. The script creates a htm-file with information from several servers. Among other things, I want to list error logs for the last 7 days from servers listed in $servers.

My case is this. When I run the following command, it's all good, and it gives me the logs I'm asking for:

Get-EventLog -ComputerName $servers -LogName System -After (Get-Date).AddDays(-7) -Before (Get-Date) -Newest 5|
        Select-Object MachineName, TimeWritten, EntryType, Source, Message

If I add "-EntryType Error", PowerShell hangs, and after a while it times out:

Get-EventLog -ComputerName $servers -LogName System -EntryType Error -After (Get-Date).AddDays(-7) -Before (Get-Date) -Newest 5|
        Select-Object MachineName, TimeWritten, EntryType, Source, Message

Why is this happening? Is there a better way to get error logs from several servers?

Sam Boutros
    Participant

You're trying to pull too much data. Try to pull data in smaller chunks..

Audun
      Participant

Probably. Any suggestion how to pull the data in smaller chunks?

Richard Siddaway

I've just successfully run your data gathering part of the code
    Get-EventLog -LogName System -EntryType Error -After (Get-Date).AddDays(-7) -Before (Get-Date) -Newest 5

As you're only pulling the newest 5 records I don't think its too much data. I'd try to run the command on individual servers to see if there is an issue with one machine that's causing the problem.

Audun
      Participant

Thank you Richard, I will check that out!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.