Get-Help equivalent for DSC resources

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex Aymonier Alex Aymonier 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Bart

Hi, I'm trying to understand how to explore what is available for DSC resources. What I mean by that is if I'm in the PowerShell console and I want to do something with a service and I don't know what is available I just type "Get-Help *service* and I get a nice list of all the CmdLets with service in the name. Oh, I want to call "Get-Service", what does that take? Let me type "Get-Help Get-Service -Full". Boom, everything I could possibly want to know about every parameter, types, and examples. There's even a nice link to the online version.

Enter DSC. I want to create a configuration script that makes sure service XYZ is there. I happen to know there is a MS provided Service resource but other than that, no ideas on what parameters it takes. How/Where do I figure that out? What I love about PS is how easy the help system is. I have no clue how to do this for the DSC resources. I've just started looking into DSC so I've probably just missed it, but I sure hope there is a way to figure this out.

Profile photo of Alex Aymonier
    Alex Aymonier

Hi Bart,

Closest thing to help is the syntax/and or some explanations on Github.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-DscResource -Syntax file
    File [String] #ResourceName
    DestinationPath = [string]
    [Attributes = [string[]]{ Archive | Hidden | ReadOnly | System }]
    [Checksum = [string]{ CreatedDate | ModifiedDate | SHA-1 | SHA-256 | SHA-512 }]
    [Contents = [string]]
    [Credential = [PSCredential]]
    [DependsOn = [string[]]]
    [Ensure = [string]{ Absent | Present }]
    [Force = [bool]]
    [MatchSource = [bool]]
    [PsDscRunAsCredential = [PSCredential]]
    [Recurse = [bool]]
    [SourcePath = [string]]
    [Type = [string]{ Directory | File }]

Profile photo of Alex Aymonier
    Alex Aymonier

Also check out–8672
    By Snover and Helmick. It then leads onto the advanced stuff. Then check out Jones' dsc recource vids on the mva site.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.