Get-Help: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aaron Jensen Aaron Jensen 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Aaron Jensen
    Aaron Jensen
    Participant

I'm having a weird issue with the Get-Help cmdlet on my computer. Whenever I want to view the help for an about topic, I get a NullRefernceException:

> $Error[0] | fl * -force

PSMessageDetails      :
    Exception             : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                               at System.Management.Automation.AnalysisCache.GetExportedClasses(String modulePath, ExecutionContext context)
                               at System.Management.Automation.PSClassSearcher.FindTypeByModulePath(WildcardPattern classNameMatcher)
                               at System.Management.Automation.PSClassSearcher.GetNextClass()
                               at System.Management.Automation.PSClassHelpProvider.d__17.MoveNext()
                               at System.Management.Automation.PSClassHelpProvider.d__e.MoveNext()
                               at System.Management.Automation.HelpSystem.d__b.MoveNext()
                               at System.Management.Automation.HelpSystem.d__0.MoveNext()
                               at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetHelpCommand.ProcessRecord()
                               at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
    TargetObject          :
    CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Help], NullReferenceException
    FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetHelpCommand
    ErrorDetails          :
    InvocationInfo        : System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo
    ScriptStackTrace      : at , : line 1
    PipelineIterationInfo : {}

Is this a known issue? Has anyone encountered this before?

PowerShell 5/Windows 7

> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    PSVersion                      5.0.10586.51                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    BuildVersion                   10.0.10586.51                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.34209                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Let's quickly confirm that you have no profile script, or that you're opening the shell using the switch to suppress profile loading. Also, is this in the console, the ISE, or both? And, has Update-Help been run recently?

Aaron Jensen
    Participant

It happens in both the ISE and console. The same thing happens when I suppress profile loading. I get the same error when I run Update-Help.

Aaron Jensen
    Participant

Since the problem was only with about topics, I figured the problem was with PowerShell looking through all the modules for about help topics. I slowly deleted/uninstalled modules one at a time to see if one of the modules was affecting this.

It turns out I had a strange module with a GUID for a name and an empty .psd1 file. Not sure where this came from, but I imagine from some automated test that didn't properly clean up after itself.

Once I deleted this "empty" module, Get-Help and Update-Help worked again.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You should bug that on PowerShell's UserVoice page, including all the details you can since it's replicable. The system should fail a little more gracefully than bombing the entire help functionality.

Aaron Jensen
    Participant

Posted. I didnt' see anywhere I could classify it as a bug, so I posted it as a "New Idea". http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/301869-powershell/suggestions/11679417-get-help-cmdlet-fails-to-show-about-topics-when-in

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.