Get individual names of services in ServiceSet during test-dscconfiguration

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vamsee vamsee 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of vamsee
    vamsee
    Participant

Problem:
    I have a configuration that uses ServiceSet resource as shown below
    ServiceSet myserviceset
    {
    Name=@("AppReadiness","AppIDSvc")
    State="Running"
    }

I apply the configuration and turn off only one service viz "AppReadiness". Now i execute Test-DSCConfiguration command as follows

$myvar=Test-DscConfiguration -ComputerName "DESKTOP-2F446SK" -Detailed | select ResourcesNotInDesiredState
    $rninds=$myvar | select -ExpandProperty ResourcesNotInDesiredState
    $rnids

As you can see when i print the contents of $rnids representing "resources not in desired state", I dont see the actual service name instead i see the instance name as "Resource0::[ServiceSet]myserviceset"

Question: How do i get the actual servicename that is not in the desired state when i use ServiceSet resource. This problem applies to all resource sets such as "ProcessSet", "WindowsFeatureSet", "WindowsOptionalFeatureSet", "GroupSet" etc.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'm not sure you can. The idea with the set is that it's atomic – it's a single all-or-nothing unit; breaking it down into components defeats the "set" concept. If that's what you need, you'd do individual settings.

Profile photo of vamsee
    vamsee
    Participant

Thanks Don.
    However i scripted a PS to generate the report to satisfy my needs. The problem with this is it works on current configuration only and not on reference configuration.

#reports all resources in desired and not-destired states in a single table
    #handles ServiceSet so that individual services are shown in the report
    cls

#capture resources not in desired state from Test-DSCConfiguration result
    $myvar=Test-DscConfiguration -ComputerName "DESKTOP-2F446SK" -Detailed | select ResourcesNotInDesiredState

#expand the property
    $rinds=$myvar | select -ExpandProperty ResourcesInDesiredState

#we are only interested in some columns so pick only those
    $finalrnids=$rninds | select ResourceID, ResourceName, InstanceName, DependsOn, InDesiredState

#create a mapping of all ResourceID->Name from the current applied configuration
    #this map is used to get actual service names
    $resourcemap=Get-DscConfiguration | Select ResourceID, Name

[array] $final= @()
    foreach($x in $finalrnids)
    {
    $resdetail = New-Object PSObject
    #get the actual service name from resourceid
    $name=$resourcemap | where {$_.ResourceID -eq $x.ResourceID} | Select Name
    $resdetail | add-member -type NoteProperty -Name ResourceName -Value $x.ResourceName
    $resdetail | add-member -type NoteProperty -Name InstanceName -Value $name.Name
    $resdetail | add-member -type NoteProperty -Name DependsOn -Value $x.DependsOn
    $resdetail | add-member -type NoteProperty -Name InDesiredState -Value $x.InDesiredState
    $final+=$resdetail
    }

$final | ft

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.