Get-Process ? newbie question

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Get-Process ? newbie question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 1

Hi

I am brand new to this and is learning the command Get-Process | ft name, cpu, starttime, Company,

If i run a “get-process” I get the headlines     Status    Name    DisplayName

nothing else

It is however possible to run

Get-Process | ft name, cpu, starttime, Company, path -wrap -GroupBy Company

and I see the headlines mentioned in the command (name, cpu, starttime etc)

How am i supposed to know, that Get-Process contains the possibility of showing the added headlines?

I would expect a command like “Get-Process -detail” but i cannot find a command like that.

I hope im not to unclear.

/Vejling

Participant
      Topics: 16
      Replies: 1855
      Helping Hand

When you pipe to Format-Table (ft), you’re piping all properties and telling Format-Table you only want to see select properties. Be with Format-Table, it is ONLY made to display formatted for the shell. No data is passed beyond most Format-* commands, so you cannot do Get-Process | Format-Table | Stop-Process, one of Powershell’s Gotchas (see the ebook in the Free Resources). Here is a basic answer to your question:

Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 1

Thank you very much Rob.

Imagine all people being that helpful. I hope I will be able to pass on the kindness sometime.

Best regards

/Vejling

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.