Get "something" as a result in second column

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Adam Bertram 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Radu Dinut
    Participant

Hello,
    I've just started using PS (I know...) and already stuck. Need your help with some user list I'm trying to get.

I have a list of users, with each user member of different AD groups – Marketing, HR, Printing, etc. A certain "type" of group I'm interested in starts with the same words, so I can filter by that. BUT, some of the users in that list aren't part of any of these groups. Like so:
    Users Special Group
    U1 Spe.Grp.1
    U2 Spe.Grp.2
    U3 Spe.Grp.1
    U4 Spe.Grp.3
    U5 Not in any group that matches the filter
    U6 Spe.Grp.Test.1
    U7 Not in any group that matches the filter

The problem is all the special groups are randomly named (after the Spe.Grp.*), all the users are spread inside AD in different OU's and there are around 300 users I need this for.

I have this so far:

Import-Csv .\file.txt |% {Get-aduser $_.ppl |select samaccountname } |% {$smth=$_.samaccountname;Write-Output $_;} |% {Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership $_.samaccountname |? {$_.name -like "Spe.Grp.*"}} |Select-Object @{n='samaccountname';e={$smth}},Name > C:\mm-u-g.txt

The result is ok, except that for the users U5 and U7 it skips them entirely and I need the output with all the rows. For U5 and U7 I'd like it to say "User doesn't belong to any Spe.Grp."

SamAcctN Name
    U1 Spe.Grp.1
    U2 Spe.Grp.2
    U3 Spe.Grp.1
    U4 Spe.Grp.3
    U5 User doesn't belong to any Spe.Grp.
    U6 Spe.Grp.Test.1
    U7 User doesn't belong to any Spe.Grp.

Also, an error to be put in when a User isn't found would be nice. But that's for another post perhaps 🙂

Thank you,
    Radu

postanote
    Participant

This is a question similar to one recently posted that I responded to.
    See this thread....

Show User and AD group membership
    'powershell.org/forums/topic/get-adgroup-with-poershell-want-to-displayexport-output-one-user-per-line'

... to determine if you can leverage what I posted to get you to where you need to go.

Radu Dinut
    Participant

... to determine if you can leverage what I posted to get you to where you need to go.

It's EXACTLY what I needed.
    Thank you so much.

Radu

Radu Dinut
      Participant

This is what it ended up like:

Import-Csv .\file.txt |% {Get-aduser $_.ppl -Properties Name, MemberOf |Select-Object Name, @{Label="Memberof";expression={($_.memberof | Get-ADGroup |? {$_.name -like "Spe.Grp.*"}| Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name) -Join ","}}} > C:\mm-final.txt

It looks awesome and it does just what I need.

Thanks again <3

Radu

postanote
    Participant

No worries

Adam Bertram

Moving to correct forum.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.