Get the class of an exception and catch it

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Paal Braathen
    Paal Braathen
    Participant

Hi

I want to catch only a specific error that is thrown. The problem is that i don't know it's class.

How can I display the full class name of my exception when it's thrown?

Example code (including a question). As you see I'm trying to get events from the future. This will throw NoMatchingEventsFound. I want to catch this and only this error.

$LogName = "Application"

try {
        Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable @{"LogName" = $LogName; "StartDate" = (Get-Date -Year 2020)} -ErrorAction "Stop"
    } catch {
        $_ # And why can't this be piped to Format-List?
    }
    Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Exceptions and ErrorRecords, for whatever reason, need to have the -Force switch used when you pipe them to Format-List and such. I forget why that is, but PowerShell really really wants to display them the way it thinks they should be displayed. 🙂

To get the type of the exception, $_.Exception.GetType().FullName should suffice.

Profile photo of Paal Braathen
    Paal Braathen
    Participant

@dlwyatt

$_.Exception.GetType().FullName only gives me System.Exception. Is that really the class of the error?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That would be very unusual, but not impossible. .NET code (including PowerShell cmdlets) generally considers it a bad practice to just throw the base exception class, rather than subclassing it to something more useful that can be caught and handled specifically.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.