Get value from higher pipe level

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Riley C Porter
    Riley C Porter
    Participant

I'm getting mobile device stats from Exchange against each box, but get-mobiledevicestatistics unfortunately doesn't return a friendly name of the box it's retrieving — the closest thing is the Identity field, which spits out the full CN with the username crammed in the middle. Here's what I'm using:

$UserList = Get-CASMailbox -Filter {hasactivesyncdevicepartnership -eq $true -and -not displayname -like "CAS_{*"} | Get-Mailbox

$UserList | foreach { Get-MobileDeviceStatistics -Mailbox $_.alias} | FL $userlist.Name, DeviceModel, LastSuccessSync

Is there a way to retrieve the name field from the initial command? The "$userlist.Name" throws this:
    [i]FL : Cannot convert System.Object[] to one of the following types {System.String,
    System.Management.Automation.ScriptBlock}.
    [/i]

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Try a calculated expression:

$UserList | foreach { Get-MobileDeviceStatistics -Mailbox $_.alias | Select DeviceModel, LastSuccessSync, @{Label="Name";Expression={$_.Name}}} | FL Name, DeviceModel, LastSuccessSync
    Riley C Porter
    Participant

No error, but no values, either; "Name" is blank. Technically that's trying to call "Name" from Get-MobileDeviceStatistics, yes? And there's no property named that on that command. I need to somehow grab "Name" from "Get-Mailbox" on each ForEach.

Would there be a way to cheat, of sorts, by writing the object's name to an out file and [i]then[/i] running the mobile stats command? So, each time the loop ran, it'd write the Get-Mailbox value "Name", then run Get-MobileDeviceStatistics and write that to the file?

Riley C Porter
    Participant

What do you know, it worked! Here's my modified code, in case people would like to see.

$UserList = Get-CASMailbox -Filter {hasactivesyncdevicepartnership -eq $true -and -not displayname -like "CAS_{*"} | Get-Mailbox

$UserList | ForEach-Object {
        get-mailbox $_.alias | Select-Object -Property Name | Out-File -Append d:\mobiles.txt
        Get-MobileDeviceStatistics -Mailbox $_.alias | ft -Property DevicePhoneNumber, DeviceModel, DeviceOS, FirstSyncTime -AutoSize | out-file -Append d:\mobiles.txt
        }
    Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Hello Riley,

Here a modified variant of your first post which will add the mailbox name to the object returned by Get-MobileDeviceStatistics using the Add-Member cmdlet (a trick I've learned at the PowerShell Summit 2014 earlier this year).

Get-CASMailbox -Filter { hasactivesyncdevicepartnership -eq $true -and -not displayname -like "CAS_{*" } | Get-Mailbox | ForEach-Object -Process { Get-MobileDeviceStatistics -Mailbox $_ | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name MailboxName -Value $_.Name -PassThru } | Select-Object -Property MailboxName, DeviceModel, LastSuccessSync

Regards,
    Daniel

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Your initial post indicated that there was a Name property in $UserList. If you need to pull it from another command, you can do something like this:

#Create a blank object
    $results = @()

#Take results returned data from foreach  and put it in the $results object
    $results = $UserList | ForEach-Object {
        #Create a variable and extract the name returned from Get-MailBox
        $MailBoxName = get-mailbox $_.alias | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Name 
        #Add the variable using a calculated property 
        Get-MobileDeviceStatistics -Mailbox $_.alias | ft -Property DevicePhoneNumber, DeviceModel, DeviceOS, FirstSyncTime, @{Label="Name";Expression={$MailBoxName}} -AutoSize
    }

$results
    $results | Export-CSV C:\MailboxInfo.csv

Also, in PowerShell, it's better practice to generate an object versus appending line by line to a file. So, try this and see if it works as expected.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.