Get-WmiObject inconsisten or NULL values returned

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Mark Lis
    Participant

Hi

I have the following Powershell line to get information about the progress of HyperV merge and replication sync status on a Windows Server 2016 installation :
    Get-WmiObject -Namespace "root\virtualization\v2" -Query "select * from Msvm_ConcreteJob" | select name,PercentComplete

My issue is it often returns a blank line when it should return a value as I know its doing something. So for instance if HyperV is doing a replication resync I run the command and it shows me the percentage complete:
    name PercentComplete
    —- —————
    Resynchronizing 46

If I run it again it often returns a blank line, if I leave it a minute or so then run it again I get a result but often with more information:

name PercentComplete
    —- —————
    Modifying Resource 100
    Applying Replica Changes 50
    Apply Registered Delta 0
    Merge in Progress 100
    Applying Replica Changes 0
    Receiving changes 100
    Resynchronizing 46
    Receiving changes 100

Why is it inconsistent when returning values partuclarly the Resyncronization value that should return a value until its compelte?

Thanks

Mark

Don Jones
    Keymaster

WMI/CIM consists of a bazillion little underlying "providers." Those providers are responsible for sticking data into the repository and responding to queries; in this case, the provider appears to be Not Well Written. It's likely related to Hyper-V's management architecture, but there's not much you can do in terms of gaining insight or fixing it.

But it's not PowerShell's fault, if that helps 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.