Get-WmiObject : Invalid class error

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Veeram Varapraveen Reddy Veeram Varapraveen Reddy 1 year ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Busch Brett
    Busch Brett
    Participant

I'm trying to repair the SBSMonitoring database on a WIndows 2011 SBS box per this article here (http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/08/22/how-to-recreate-the-sbsmonitoring-database.aspx), but I keep getting this error (see below). Does anyone know how to resolve?

Get-WmiObject : Invalid class
    At C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Create-SBSMonitoringDb.ps1:33 char:10
    + if ((gwmi <<<< win32_operatingsystem).version -like "6.0*") { + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], Managemen tException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.C ommands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Can you just run this on the computer?

get-wmiobject -class win32_operatingsystem

By itself, in a powershell console window?

Busch Brett
    Participant

Nope, sure can't.

PS C:\Users\bbusch> get-wmiobject -class win32_operatingsystem
    Get-WmiObject : Invalid class
    At line:1 char:14
    + get-wmiobject <<<< -class win32_operatingsystem + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

Busch looks like you have a system issue with your WMI Class. Here is a good article on technet about troubleshooting WMI Providers and Classes that should help you out.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2014/08/11/wmi-missing-or-failing-wmi-providers-or-invalid-wmi-class.aspx

Busch Brett
    Participant

WMI is verified as consistent; any other suggestions?

PS C:\windows\temp> winmgmt /verifyrepository
    WMI repository is consistent
    PS C:\windows\temp>

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

If you've verified that you ran the command as a local Administrator, and it isn't retrieving Win32_OperatingSystem when you're in a local console window (which says "Administrator" in the title bar), then I'm gonna go with "borked system." I'm a little hesitant to recommend a fix because I'm not at all familiar with SBS or any weirdness it may have.

Profile photo of Mike Eyler
    Mike Eyler
    Participant

does this work?
    Get-WmiObject -Class "win32_operatingsystem" -Namespace "root/cimv2"

Can we handle this exception !!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.