Author Posts

September 29, 2015 at 11:21 am

PowerShell version 2.
I have done some research to try and find out how to tell what classes Get-WmiObject supports but have not found any related articles.

Trying to get data using the following:

Get-WmiObject -class win32_reliabilityRecords -filter "sourcename = 'Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient'"

The above returns:

Get-WmiObject : Provider load failure
At line:1 char:14
+ Get-WmiObject < <<<  -Class win32_reliabilityRecords -filter "sourcename = 'Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient'"
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand 

I can get data using the following:

$computer=Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem 

So I know Get-WmiObject works in general.

September 29, 2015 at 11:31 am

What version of Windows are you trying this on? I've just tested on Windows 10 and it works fine

According to the documentation for Win32_ReliabilityRecords https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706630(v=vs.85).aspx this class is only available on Windows 7 and above.

PowerShell v2 was introduced with Windows 7 so you should be able to get access to that class.

If Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem works then it suggests that your WMI repository isn't corrupt.

What do you get if you try
Get-WmiObject -class win32_reliabilityRecords -List

September 29, 2015 at 11:35 am

I copy and pasted your command and it works flawlessly. I tested with both PowerShell version 2.0 and 4.0. Returned 138 objects on my system.

PS C:\> Get-WmiObject -class win32_reliabilityRecords -filter "sourcename = 'Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient'" | m
easure

Count    : 138
Average  :
Sum      :
Maximum  :
Minimum  :
Property :

September 29, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly Richard and Curtis.

I was so excited to find a command that would provide me with what I needed and couldn't get from Get-Hotfix that I completely glossed over the fact that the machine I am trying this out on is a Windows 2008 R2 server. Just another reason for us to move our Web servers to 2012 or beyond.
Regards,
-tracy

September 29, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I would like to mark this as resolved but haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.

September 30, 2015 at 12:42 am

Look at the thread status drop down box immediately above the Reply box